The Doc's First Move: Corning Dropped from GDNY

first on fox

There will be no more Corning in the Morning.

WNYW/Ch. 5 has dropped Ron Corning as co-anchor of the station's "Good Day New York," the Daily News has learned.

Corning was on vacation last week when he learned of the decision not keep him anchoring the morning show alongside Jodi Applegate.

"We're very surprised by Fox's decision not to pick up an option to extend Ron," said Corning's agent, Laurie Jacoby of the Napoli Management Group.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2008/04/14/2008-04-14_ron_corning_dropped_from_ch_5s_good_day_.html

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There will be no more Corning in the Morning.

WNYW/Ch. 5 has dropped Ron Corning as co-anchor of the station's "Good Day New York," the Daily News has learned.

Corning was on vacation last week when he learned of the decision not keep him anchoring the morning show alongside Jodi Applegate.

"We're very surprised by Fox's decision not to pick up an option to extend Ron," said Corning's agent, Laurie Jacoby of the Napoli Management Group.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2008/04/14/2008-04-14_ron_corning_dropped_from_ch_5s_good_day_.html

And after all the work SuitSnob put into him. What a shame

First off - Veronica Corning-stone (Ron Corning) was never a real threat because he wasn't any good to begin with. They should've shown him the door a while ago. Jodi will be next, and then they'll bring 2 other shlubs at minimum wage to fill the show.

That shop used to be sooo good - now they are sooo sad.

As for their G.M. - Lew (i blew) Leone, he's waste of space too. Did nothing at CBS 2 and now he's just kicking back and stealing Fox 5's money the same way the fat man - Scott Mathews did.

Diane Doctor? Why don't you just dig up Neil Goldstein from under a rock and bring back that psycho too? Who the hell is making these decisisons? Stevie Wonder?

Why? Did they see Corning as a threat to their AM show?

Any news of a shakeup is good for the East Siders. 5 has been the main competition for as far as we can all remember. Combined with a just recently fired up morning show with slowly gaining ratings, CW11 is gonna be happy. Hell even the 2 hour local morning show on CBS2 occasionally loses to 11. It wasn't Corning himself that was the threat, it was the show he's no longer a part of.

The witch only started a week ago and already started trouble. I really did not like Corning anyway. Maybe the Doctor is making room for one of her favorites. Maybe Mario Bosquez or Jim Ryan will return. Maybe she will go after Maurice.

And after all the work SuitSnob put into him. What a shame

LOL

What else would the witch change? She loves firing people! I'm assuming the 5&6 block, b/c WNYW has always been last. But i don't think any changes would effect the 5&6 ratings, because, you have the big three up there competing already.

I got summoned all the way here in the Pacific Timezone!!! So much to tell you all about the strange new world I live in...the local newscasts are just PATHETIC in this small market and don't even get me STARTED on the suits!

My Ronnie needs me!

But first, an open message to Diane Doctor:

Lady Di-

Well...well...well...one week and already you have been swinging around that stump that hangs between your legs, I am not sure if it is a prick or a twat-but I know you are both. I don't know who you keep blowing to keep your career going; but it looks like we are going to see you destroy yet another great team and eventually, an entire news department before you get on your broom and fly to the next station.

No one has picked on Ron Corning on this board more than me, but that was only picking on his formerly bad wardrobe choices-which are certainly not an issue any more. I would never have bothered if Ron wasn't so talented and charming otherwise, able to move fleetly between hard news, light news and lifestyle segments; exactly what one needs in a morning host-not to mention his amazing chemistry with Jodie. Believe me, bitch-Ron will bounce back, he's worked the networks before and homeboy is now dressed by Yours Truly to top it all off.

Thank God I am thousands of miles away where your talons can't fuck with people's lives and careers. People like you are what makes me happy to be out of New York, you Wicked Witch of the East Coast News. I hope Ron gets a great job and the first story is about how someone dropped a house on your nasty ass.

Lucky I am not directly affected by not seeing Ron every morning with Jodie...then I might have had to get nasty...

SUITSNOB HAS SPOKEN!!!!

PS Ron, the French always say "congratulations" when one is fired instead of "I'm sorry." You don't want to work with Diane Doctor Doom anyway and you'll be back on the air soon, hopefully on a national feed so I can continue to trash your now-rare wardrobe mishaps. And isn't it nice to know that your reel can now include some REALLY snappy, SuitSnob-approved outifts?

PPS Ron, you might want to leave off any footage of the Infamous Kikachu Incident:

Corningland08.jpg

Corningland09.jpg

Corningland10.jpg

Corningland11.jpg

Corningland12.jpg

Corningland13.jpg

(Look...the guy gets infested with fleas live on air and continues on...now THAT is a PRO!!!)

This is a disappointing move. He is somebody who you know is a nice guy. Serious one moment, playful the next. They should give the job to Reid. He has a good sense of humor and rapport with the others.

Though I must say that the since the Post-Jim Ryan days, the show has not been the same since Chris left.

Interesting mix of posts on the daily news board http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=17604

This is a disappointing move. He is somebody who you know is a nice guy. Serious one moment, playful the next. They should give the job to Reid. He has a good sense of humor and rapport with the others.

Though I must say that the since the Post-Jim Ryan days, the show has not been the same since Chris left.

Interesting mix of posts on the daily news board http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=17604

Wait, didn't Lady Die fire Reid from WCBS?

(Damn...I miss my Reid Fix!)

I cannot believe some of the nasty shit that is being slung there-and this is ME talking (at least my attacks are intended to be helpful and constructive)! I spent the better part of two years always watching Good Day (even when I had to watch through my fingers to avoid gagging at some of Ron's outfits) due to the fact that Ron and Joi were both terrific talents that were magnified in the presence of each other. And you know what-there are/ were certainly other options in the NYC market to watch; if you didn't like them, change the damn channel!:rofl!:

I agree. The nasty comments are so untrue and uncalled for. He is a class act and should move on with his head held high. He will get the last laugh. The whole way this went down... Doing it during his vacation is classless by management.

Reid is safe, I think Dianne was the one promoted him to weekend morning anchor at CBS2. If he play his cards right he might be the next co host of GDNY.

Would be the right choice. He has the wit and fun personality for a morning show. His banter with C. Park is very entertaining.

Would be the right choice. He has the wit and fun personality for a morning show. His banter with C. Park is very entertaining.

Did we forget that the man is drop-dead handsome and incredibly well-dressed?:(

It's hard to want anyone benefiting from Ron being shafted, but Reid also got ROYALLY screwed by WCBS and deserves a good turn.

Well aside from good looking people, let's get back to the original argument of Dr. Death.

Will she or won't she continue to implode Fox 5. I agree that some of the dead weight there needs to be moved around. However, there are some good people there that should stay.

All I can say is that management as usual has their heads up their ass!

Why else would they hire her, or for that matter that broken down,.... doucebag of a shit-fuck - Lew Leone!??? That guy is a TOTAL ASSHOLE!

He has no balls, can't even look you in the eye when he fires you! You can tell he's a schmuck! I'd love to see Ron (Veronica Corning-stone) beat his ass down and bitch slap him on the street!

Fox 5 could run it as a promo, "how to tell when your woman is fed up!"

Other than his agent's quote in that original Daily News column, no. But there are rumors of him going to the fourth hour of TODAY, replacing Tiki Barber.

Source of this "rumor?"

Archived