The worst news opens of all time

I still refuse to believe this is real. It's some prank being played on them by some upset Steelers fan that works there.

Right? Right?!

:puke:

The part right after the intro had me scared that Christina Aguilera's train wreck of a National Anthem rendition was about to start.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you want to talk lame opening and lame station, try WYFF today. All dayparts are awful, but the morning and noon openings are the worst, and that female announcer in the morning and at noon doesn't help one bit. Worse yet, at commercial breaks, they repeat one part of the music over and over and over again. Stupid!

Here's a KSAT Noon open from '97:

[YT]dQLAWok8GwQ[/YT]

Scott Chapin is this open's ONLY saving grace. The cut of The One And Only they used sounds like a wounded cat. laugh.gif

KSAT needs to use the New Generation themes like WPLG does. I've heard better cuts of The One & Only on YouTube resynchs.

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, when I first saw it, I thought maybe something there was broken and they couldn't use the open. Only when I saw it in use several days in a row (and using the regular -- but still bad -- Gannett opens at other times) did I realize this was deliberate. Even more amazingly, 11pm is the time where WUSA will occasionally not be last place, so this is the presentation they want people to see. Hooray for firing all the graphics departments and centralizing everything in Denver.

• 1 month later...

But yet even when WUSA had there own graphics by Giant Octopus they were using the four second open in there last graphics.

I'm not sure they were. I do remember the shortened version of the

they had, but it was still an actual open. And they did occasionally have a "cold open" with no music, but it was just occasionally. Now, the weekday 11pm show (the only show that even occasionally does ratings that aren't horrible) always runs that rather bad cold open.

Thinking about it, was there even any reason for Gannett to drop the Giant Octopus graphics with their own standardized ones? The GO graphics were a standardization. They could have still outsourced everything to Denver, and just have them use the GO metrics. Was Gannett too cheap to even try to customize their graphics producing machine to work with GO graphics? (Never mind Denver's KUSA still has many customizations in its presentation.) I guess they save money by forcing all their stations (except KARE) to use the same theme music from Rampage...

Anyway, I find it interesting that WUSA uses the no-open on its highest profile newscast, and that also they have not used the latest updates to the Gannett open and graphics for its other shows.

I'm not sure they were. I do remember the shortened version of the

they had, but it was still an actual open. And they did occasionally have a "cold open" with no music, but it was just occasionally. Now, the weekday 11pm show (the only show that even occasionally does ratings that aren't horrible) always runs that rather bad cold open.

Thinking about it, was there even any reason for Gannett to drop the Giant Octopus graphics with their own standardized ones? The GO graphics were a standardization. They could have still outsourced everything to Denver, and just have them use the GO metrics. Was Gannett too cheap to even try to customize their graphics producing machine to work with GO graphics? (Never mind Denver's KUSA still has many customizations in its presentation.) I guess they save money by forcing all their stations (except KARE) to use the same theme music from Rampage...

Anyway, I find it interesting that WUSA uses the no-open on its highest profile newscast, and that also they have not used the latest updates to the Gannett open and graphics for its other shows.

AXIS can easily be set up to let individual stations have individual graphics packages. I believe I heard many of the FOX O&O's have custom templates on it (though they did come from the hub).

This cold open is an obvious attempt at "being hip". It looks like it was produced by one of the internet newscasts.

• 3 months later...

In the International Division, we may have a winner. At 1:29 is the open. It moves really slowly, has an abrupt cut of music, and the tackiest IFB you will ever see:

http://www.youtu.be/Xpy4z5COz50

Meanwhile, the American Division has another entrant. This newscast I think lasted just under one year. At least they tried. (And they had the Palmer package for some reason.)

http://www.youtu.be/zsp76ngd4pQ

*shakes head* That is 1999, sadly. I wrote the WDYR page because it was missing.

It's just small market, no fault of their own and credit to the guy for trying. There's other WDYR material on his channel too.

The Palmer package is still in use — and it's 27 years old this year. WJET dropped it last year, making it a race between KESQ Palm Springs et al. and WPTY Memphis et al. to see who will drop it first.

The Palmer package is still in use — and it's 27 years old this year. WJET dropped it last year, making it a race between KESQ Palm Springs et al. and WPTY Memphis et al. to see who will drop it first.

For the record, WPTY stopped using PNP early last year. They have since decided to use no music at all for their newscasts.

*shakes head* That is 1999, sadly. I wrote the WDYR page because it was missing.

It's just small market, no fault of their own and credit to the guy for trying. There's other WDYR material on his channel too.

Actually, Dyersburg, TN isn't even its own market. Its technically part of Memphis. WDYR was a small, brief startup I think by a local reporter that tried to recruit other locals into it. Obviously it never went anywhere and as said shut down within a year or so.

ETA...if I had watched the whole video through - it goes through that a bit. Tommy Stafford - he had been around Memphis TV for many years before going off to do that, and then briefly returned to Memphis after at WPTY/WLMT. His wife Yvette Mena featured in there also was in Memphis TV for a good while too.

I'm not quite sure what you'd call this...

The station otherwise simulcasts KABB/San Antonio's morning and 9pm newscasts. What KIDY is producing seems to be a local insert into the 9pm news hour.

For a second, I thought the logo said kiddy FOX. And worse, their web address is myfoxzone.com