The worst news opens of all time

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
The open is ok from an artistic standpoint, I think you need to look at the atrocity of everything but the open.

The atrocity of Five News is pretty unmistakeable, but I just don't understand the open at all. Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

The atrocity of Five News is pretty unmistakeable, but I just don't understand the open at all. Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

here's the opening sequence to a regular Five News bulletin (the 7pm edition was cancelled some time ago):

and the opening to Five News when Natasha Kaplinsky took over, before Five adopted its current logo:

• 4 weeks later...

This is the station that I intern at. It's The University of Alabama's station. It's fully commercial... but that doesn't mean we have monties out the wazooh. Here's our current open... the open itself isn't too bad... it's the sparkly music. Keep in mind, all the stuff in that montage is current. I recorded it about a week ago from my DVR.

[YT][/YT]

This is the station that I intern at. It's The University of Alabama's station. It's fully commercial... but that doesn't mean we have monties out the wazooh. Here's our current open... the open itself isn't too bad... it's the sparkly music. Keep in mind, all the stuff in that montage is current. I recorded it about a week ago from my DVR.

[yt][/yt]

Let me guess: WVUA is a "This TV" affiliate.

[yt][/yt]

I feel sooo bad for people who live in markets like this and have to see this less than high school level broadcast... Just Sad.

Is that station even trying? I don't doubt their commitment to keeping the community informed, but the graphics look they came out of Windows Movie Maker. They also overcompressed their video for YouTube.

We need another station makeover campaign. I nominate WSVI.

Is that station even trying? I don't doubt their commitment to keeping the community informed, but the graphics look they came out of Windows Movie Maker. They also overcompressed their video for YouTube.

We need another station makeover campaign. I nominate WSVI.

Close, those lower thirds come from iMovie. They didn't even bother to change the color of the lower third from the default (that subdued plum color). The fact that they use free software to produce and edit their "newscast" and are so cheap that they haven't even ponied up the $100 for even Final Cut Express really proves that their effort is half-assed at best.

Sure, perhaps they don't need a live control room, remote trucks, etc. but with just a few hundred bucks, they could use better software and better workflows to make a better quality news program that would be on-par with college film students who use Final Cut.

• 5 months later...