The worst news opens of all time

WKYC's HD open:

[yt]inVtBKKZUs0[/yt]

I'm sorry, maybe it's just me, but never have I ever needed sunglasses to watch a YouTube clip...until now. And advertising during the show open is so 1950s-game-show. Just not my cup of tea.

They changed sponsorships, now its Ford. It has a blue sky background so it isn't as bad as the Time Warner Cable one was and their nightime opens have the skyline in the background. Actually I really do like WKYC's opens.

Here's their new ones:

Speaking of bad opens, did we mention this one yet. Yuk.

Heck, even markets smaller than that have stations that look more modern.

• Like 1

KIEM's open has grown on me, it's not that bad... it's just a slide... with music... I wouldn't call it the worst news open of all time. Their talent bump-out is okay... it's got a pretty cool, but a bit gaudy, CGI of the Eureka area. It's KIEM, so I cut them a bit of slack.

And those WKYC opens are awesome. I bet they look spectacular in HD.

Speaking of bad opens, did we mention this one yet. Yuk.

Heck, even markets smaller than that have stations that look more modern.

Said already by me.

KIEM-TV in Eureka, CA is the most watched news... more like the ONLY news in the area.

KIEM News Channel 3 6pm Open

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBW3eCADKuA

KIEM News Channel 3 6pm Talent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48QFNzEUm6U

Someone tried to resych it with Advantage V.7, look at his attempt.

That resynchronization doesn't fit well with the graphics. They would have to go with a completely different graphics pack to incorporate the music. But their current music is not bad. It does fit well with their graphics, even though the graphics does screams 1989!!

WEWS used the same cut of music (remixed with Catch 5) in their 1981-1984 open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c76FPVObElg

I actually love this open. I don't even call this the worst open at all. This is actually one of my favorite themes from Hello and adding the "Catch 5" signature logo makes it more lively. I even like the 11pm promo music too, which is basically the same.

Said already by me.

Sorry about that. Advantage V.7 doesn't work too well with that in my opinion. The fact is that it is very dated and using contemporary news music with 1980's style graphics won't work well in any case.

KIEM's open has grown on me, it's not that bad... it's just a slide... with music... I wouldn't call it the worst news open of all time. Their talent bump-out is okay... it's got a pretty cool, but a bit gaudy, CGI of the Eureka area. It's KIEM, so I cut them a bit of slack.

And those WKYC opens are awesome. I bet they look spectacular in HD.

I think its the fact that a network affilate newscast that still does a newscast with 1980's production values bugs me the most more than anything. The folks who run the station must be really cheap. Heck, even KTVO in market 200 looks more modern.

I think its the fact that a network affilate newscast that still does a newscast with 1980's production values bugs me the most more than anything. The folks who run the station must be really cheap. Heck, even KTVO in market 200 looks more modern.

Just be thankful they do put an effort to even have an only newscast in Eureka, even if they do have older graphics and theme music.

The last generation of WKBW's Eyewitness News was pretty awful: Move Closer To Your World and "whoosh" sound effects do not mix. Also the television monitors and awkward poses and it's no surprise that WKBW ended up even further in the cellar in 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pyiF4i5Oc4

I actually liked this open with the sound effect. IMO, KB died when the dropped MCTYW. I despise RHRN. They're ratings have stayed in the basement. I wished they would bring back the old theme one day.

I actually liked this open with the sound effect. IMO, KB died when the dropped MCTYW. I despise RHRN. They're ratings have stayed in the basement. I wished they would bring back the old theme one day.

I agree with that statement, but it seems rather out of place with the whooshes. If the theme goes back in some form or another, Buffalo will take notice. I've read that they are using the theme in promos, but not sure how true that is since I haven't seen video footage. Hopefully, if WKBW decides to bring MCTYW back, it will be the original without the "whooshes" or the Cliff Schwarz WNEP version, which I think is a better fit.

I agree with that statement, but it seems rather out of place with the whooshes. If the theme goes back in some form or another, Buffalo will take notice. I've read that they are using the theme in promos, but not sure how true that is since I haven't seen video footage. Hopefully, if WKBW decides to bring MCTYW back, it will be the original without the "whooshes" or the Cliff Schwarz WNEP version, which I think is a better fit.

Based on what I've read, they're supposedly playing the MCTYW theme for the station's 50th Anniversary.

• 4 months later...