The worst news opens of all time

We have the greatest news opens of all time thread, how 'bout the worst. It could the music package, talent shots, or the one thing that can ruin a news open. I got a few right here which make me laugh.

Bad music package

WRCB-WDEF 1994 Opens (What was WRCB thinking at the time?)-

Bad talent shots

WAPT 10pm News Open - 1990 (Those aren't still pictures)-

Both

KSAT 12 10pm news open 1994 (I like it but...)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVdq7bhVUaQ

• Like 1

This early '90s WJAR open isn't bad, but its "slogan overload" cracks me up. As I posted in YouTube's comments section...

Whenever I watch this news open, I imagine a group of station executives sitting behind a big desk trying to pick the best news slogan (out of several proposals) to include in the open. They can't agree on which one to go with, so in the end they just give up: "What the heck! Let's include them all!"

• Like 3

Here is my description of WALA's newscast open from 2003 to 2005:

Close up of WALA's studio transmitter.

Shot of a news van with station building and transmitter in background.

Shot of cameraman and his lens.

Both halves of WALA logo (FOX Ten) on screen with announcer Greg O'Neil saying, "You're watching FOX Ten News".

Flashy WALA logo ("10" and FOX Ten) with music fading.

Everything from the music to the camera shots was unmemorable, but fortunately WALA has chosen a better newscast opening and music that is as memorable as "News Series 2000", "Advantage", and "Up to the Minute" from the NBC and early FOX affiliate years.

KSAT 12s early 90s open:

NO MUSIC BESIDES Random Orchestral Hits

Charlie Van Dyke:

"You're Watching San Antonio's News Station. KSAT 12. SALTER!. GHALLAGER! (sp?) This, is 12News Tonight."

AWFUL!!

The Irish jug!

WDJT Open-

The graphics

WITN June 2004 6pm Open, Return, Close-

WITN 1998 6pm Open-

WITN 6 pm News Open - November 2007- (the graphics are better but the whoosh sound)

The flags on the set

KWES Newswest 9 at 10 Open 2007- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfKWZ4WgRoY

Michael Douglas, 'nuff said

NBC Nightly News open with announcer-

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPeRJb2sn9E

"Newstouch 25"/1990 - not sure what actual station this is or if it's just cable.

I don't know. When I first saw the YouTube poster's description, I thought that this may have been vintage KXXV (the ABC station in Waco, TX, broadcasting on channel 25). Brownwood is a town that is within the Waco-Temple-Killeen, Texas market (DMA #95), about 60 miles as the crow flies due west of Waco (See the references below). I don't know whether it may have been an LP repeater station or what. I attempted to look up KXXV's station history to no avail. Wikipedia says that KXXV out of Waco has been on the air since '85. Just wondering: why would Brownwood have another channel 25 station (LP or not) so close to Waco?

Brownwood:

250px-TXMap-doton-Brownwood.PNG

Waco:

250px-TXMap-doton-Waco.PNG

Both

KSAT 12 10pm news open 1994 (I like it but...)-

KSAT 12s early 90s open:

NO MUSIC BESIDES Random Orchestral Hits

Charlie Van Dyke:

"You're Watching San Antonio's News Station. KSAT 12. SALTER!. GHALLAGER! (sp?) This, is 12News Tonight."

AWFUL!!

Here's a KSAT Noon open from '97:

[YT]dQLAWok8GwQ[/YT]

Scott Chapin is this open's ONLY saving grace. The cut of The One And Only they used sounds like a wounded cat. :lol:

• Like 1

That one's pretty good... great music, very fast-paced for the time. I don't see what's so bad about it.

Its really not the music and stuff its the control room video that makes it bad IMO...its definately isnt as bad as KWQC (WOC)'s

WKYC's HD open:

[yt]inVtBKKZUs0[/yt]

I'm sorry, maybe it's just me, but never have I ever needed sunglasses to watch a YouTube clip...until now. And advertising during the show open is so 1950s-game-show. Just not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

WKYC's HD open:

I'm sorry, maybe it's just me, but never have I ever needed sunglasses to watch a YouTube clip...until now. And advertising during the show open is so 1950s-game-show. Just not my cup of tea.

The music certainly makes up for it though... love that cut of Tower V.3.