The worst news opens of all time

2 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

I wonder what kind of mushrooms the directors were smoking to conjure that up...🤔🤣😂

It just feels like they actually ran an image promo instead of a news open by accident. But it wasn't... lol

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

It doesn't sound like they even own a license for The Rock. SAM needs to sue them.

That's even worse 🤣😂

Using a good theme but don't even pay for the license and their news open looks like something out of a movie. I think we know their priorities 😂🤣

On 12/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, ED2 said:

It just feels like they actually ran an image promo instead of a news open by accident. But it wasn't... lol

And this looks like it was made in the era of the "Doppler Dead Zone" promo....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJH-nvnCqLI

Talk about trying too hard for this market.  The GM at the time, Duane Lammers later went on to start his own retrans company, Max Retrans that totally bungled all of the Sinclair sidecars last year, and eventually they all ended up being fined by the FCC for "bad faith" negotiations.

Yes, there are others than Jeff Zucker who fall upwards...

6 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

And this looks like it was made in the era of the "Doppler Dead Zone" promo....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJH-nvnCqLI

Talk about trying too hard for this market.  The GM at the time, Duane Lammers later went on to start his own retrans company, Max Retrans that totally bungled all of the Sinclair sidecars last year, and eventually they all ended up being fined by the FCC for "bad faith" negotiations.

Yes, there are others than Jeff Zucker who fall upwards...

That was... uh... quite something! Are all their station promos like this?

4 hours ago, ED2 said:

That was... uh... quite something! Are all their station promos like this?

This was way back in 2005, so much has changed.   For a station like that, the staff has probably turned several times over.

Here's a few more from WTWO.  There's a couple doozies in there including another sung morning show open(7:36), and one with a dog getting up in the morning (9:25)🤦‍♂️....

https://youtu.be/4l-kVLTlVNI

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 12/25/2020 at 1:29 AM, Yankees4life said:

Someone was asleep at the wheel as the VO was muted 🤦‍♂️

The sports highlights look like they were edited out in post so the "copyright police" doesn't go after them. 

I've seen  a lot of web streams of newscasts that black out or cover up the sports segments due to the "rules" of the leagues they are covering.

But woof, what a newscast! 

Fun fact, the weather actually comes out of their sister station, WBKB in Alpena.

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The sports highlights look like they were edited out in post so the "copyright police" doesn't go after them. 

I've seen  a lot of web streams of newscasts that black out or cover up the sports segments due to the "rules" of the leagues they are covering.

Hiya! As the person who originally uploaded that video, you’re correct about the blacking out of sports highlights and the reasoning behind it. They (usually NFL, MLB, and XOSDigital for college) generally monetize rather than take down, but NFL is notorious for blocking views on mobile for the entire video... for like ten seconds of their highlights!

It was either completely trim sports or just black them out (usually I black out only what aired on TV such as ESPN, Fox, etc since those are Content ID’d) and still let you get a feel of the sportscaster and their style, and what the station chose to include in sports.

Thanks for watching!

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, sanewsguy said:

They (usually NFL, MLB, and XOSDigital for college) generally monetize rather than take down, but NFL is notorious for blocking views on mobile for the entire video... for like ten seconds of their highlights!

I agree with the blackouts for sure; I don't really need to see them in these types of videos unless they're from before 1990.

This is why sports YouTubers like HighlightHeaven, Jomboy and UrinatingTree do a whole lotta sponsorships and give up on monetization rather than play the YouTube 'flip it around, reduce the video window, or zoom in' game you see with cartoon clips and kids shows that somehow get on there. They figure just give the money to the leagues, then make their money other ways.

But for news clips, it's just a smaller audience of us overall that's not worth the hassle. I got guff when I uploaded an 'angry sportscaster rant' clip from a TV station way back in 2007 and just decided to cut a Cubs/Brewers highlight out because it was unimportant to the context of the clip. Never been taken down, never been MLB-monetized. It's worth the effort to get rid of the clips.

12 hours ago, Justin Hill said:

WBKB-TV 11, the CBS/Fox/ABC affiliate out of Alpena, Michigan is a textbook example of a small-market station with a low-budget setup compared to other stations in neighboring media markets...

Already covered that station a bit here. Their news opens are cringeworthy as hell. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Justin Hill said:

WBKB-TV 11, the CBS/Fox/ABC affiliate out of Alpena, Michigan is a textbook example of a small-market station with a low-budget setup compared to other stations in neighboring media markets.

All together like this, you could call this a compilation of their Greatest sHits.

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

Already covered that station a bit here. Their news opens are cringeworthy as hell. 

I know Focus on the Family has their radio commentaries...but I never knew they did offer their TV commentaries to anyone to air outside religious stations and WBKB took them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1