The worst news opens of all time

3 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

Is the cut from the open to the anchors really THAT abrupt? Was there an edit in the video? I refuse to believe it cut that hard.

Here are some other opens for comparison

• 1 month later...

I have to say the ones from Guam I can give a big excuse for. 

WTTG I hope that was just MC messing up. I also dont like the pre-tease graphics, but the open somehow ties it in. I saw the KTVH open and just thought ok..playing it super safe

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 5:06 PM, atlnews2 said:

Here are some other opens for comparison

Any person who designs TV station graphics using the Arial font or any variation thereof should be terminated immediately.

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 4

I'll nominate this one from WCIV... that unnecessarily huge text. eek

It presumably replaced a fairly decent open with Ultra News... I don't know if there may have been another open with Overture prior to 2004/05

Edited by Ntropolis

1 hour ago, Ntropolis said:

I'll nominate this one from WCIV... that unnecessarily huge text. eek

It presumably replaced a fairly decent open with Ultra News... I don't know if there may have been another open with Overture prior to 2004/05

When I went up to Charleston, I do not remember them having a different open, but I was there during their Ultra News days.

On 9/6/2019 at 4:45 PM, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

You're watching Monique Robinson with your WWAY Stormtrack 3 AccuWeather First Alert  Storm Team Weather (end is exaggerated on purpose)....  Either call it Stormtrack 3 weather or AccuWeather... Too many descriptors there..

Yes... Too many things going on. It's a Morris station. Not surprised. 

• Like 3

On 9/6/2019 at 1:37 PM, bhratbrat said:

When I went up to Charleston, I do not remember them having a different open, but I was there during their Ultra News days.

There was a 4-5 year stretch WCIV had poor graphics and music. Albritton treated them as the red-headed step child in their company for years. They hired Leslie Lyles from St. Louis (who used to be on WCBD), and still couldn’t get past a very distant 3rd in the ratings behind WCSC and WCBD. 

Even in the early 2000s, they were still running CREFLO DOLLAR at noon. Almost unheard of for a network station in a top 100 market.

Their set had this interesting brick look. Then around 2003 they changed to a look showing the Ravenel Bridge (which didn’t open until 2005).

It wasn’t until the last 4-5 years when Sinclair started putting money into it that the station started getting more equal with 2 and 5.

2A51DD61-028F-499F-9305-855EA6627A50.png

On 9/13/2019 at 8:49 AM, sctvhound said:

There was a 4-5 year stretch WCIV had poor graphics and music. Albritton treated them as the red-headed step child in their company for years. They hired Leslie Lyles from St. Louis (who used to be on WCBD), and still couldn’t get past a very distant 3rd in the ratings behind WCSC and WCBD. 

Even in the early 2000s, they were still running CREFLO DOLLAR at noon. Almost unheard of for a network station in a top 100 market.

Their set had this interesting brick look. Then around 2003 they changed to a look showing the Ravenel Bridge (which didn’t open until 2005).

It wasn’t until the last 4-5 years when Sinclair started putting money into it that the station started getting more equal with 2 and 5.

2A51DD61-028F-499F-9305-855EA6627A50.png

A few years ago, Sinclair's WHP-TV Harrisburg was airing "Life Today with James Robison" at noon. It was uncommon, but not necessarily a one-off.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LTSC1980 said:

From Greenwood....

This video is Exhibit A, narrowly beating out the lack of news on WSYT, on why I was so vehemently against the abomination of Terrier Media of ever being.

Even with Cox's management poised to take over Northwest's stations, The Delta Stations included, there is going to be a TON of work to be done at the ex-Northwest stations. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LTSC1980 said:

From Greenwood....

i can't speak for their product but. whewwwww, blatantly obvious template opens feel so damn cheap to me. always offputting to see the kinda AE template i can buy for $50 on broadcast television. otherwise it's not *that* bad for the market size imo.

they've got a history of... pretty bad opens tho.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 1:05 PM, newspulse said:

i can't speak for their product but. whewwwww, blatantly obvious template opens feel so damn cheap to me. always offputting to see the kinda AE template i can buy for $50 on broadcast television. otherwise it's not *that* bad for the market size imo.

I mean, you could get better looking templates for the same price or less (international channels using videohive templates comes to mind), but I feel like this could be improved with a few slight edits especially with the text.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 3:06 PM, TVIntheDesert said:

A few years ago, Sinclair's WHP-TV Harrisburg was airing "Life Today with James Robison" at noon. It was uncommon, but not necessarily a one-off.

If memory serves me right, WHP was showing preachers at noon going way back into the 90s when they were owned by locally-based Dame Media. Which I always saw as odd since noon was the one timeslot where they might have had a fighting chance against WGAL with the lead-in of TPiR.