The worst news opens of all time

23 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Good God. That is one underwhelming intro

The open may be underwhelming but as far as small market news ops go, I'd actually watch this. They have decent graphics, a decent set, their talent seems decent. Overall I wish I could see more of the newscast but if this is what their news operation tends to look like I'm not hating it. There are a lot of similar sized and even some larger news ops that are far worse than this as far as presentation goes.

1 hour ago, KentBrockman said:

The open may be underwhelming but as far as small market news ops go, I'd actually watch this. They have decent graphics, a decent set, their talent seems decent. Overall I wish I could see more of the newscast but if this is what their news operation tends to look like I'm not hating it. There are a lot of similar sized and even some larger news ops that are far worse than this as far as presentation goes. 

I used to be able to pick up KQDS with an antenna at my house until earlier this year when they shut down a low-power translator that had become isolated from the station's DMA. Their newscasts can be, shall we say, rough around the edges, but they have always been heavy on local content rather than a bunch of fluff from wire services. That local content is generally well done, too, since I'm pretty sure they don't do any MMJ type of stuff, and have a good group of photographers to pair with the revolving door of newbie reporters you get in this size of market, which across the board actually has stronger newscasts than you might expect. Quincy (KBJR) and Hubbard (WDIO) run decent news operations here too.

Edited by blizzard59

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2018 at 10:10 PM, AJClementeFan69 said:

Somewhat off-topic, but speaking of KSHB...their newscast format back then was interesting to say the least.

It was highly experimental. For many stories, instead of an anchor reading a script live, they would voice-track the script over graphics or VO and music. Almost like little 20-30 second packages. The photography and presentation was fascinating as well; music on almost every story, lots of camera tilts, slowed-down shots, zooms.

And don't forget the newscast ending in "SEE YA!"

It's definitely worth a watch.

It almost reminds me of what Tegna is attempting today in terms of radical changes to traditional newscast formats. (The problem, IMO, is that Tegna is messing with established stations, while KSHB is an upstart, but that's for another thread.).

The original KNXV format (in their last few months of being a Fox affiliate) was inspired by KSHB. This is how Scripps originally wanted to do news if KNXV, KSHB, and WFTS had remained Fox affiliates. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 9:43 PM, Yankees4life said:

Stumbled upon this on YT

I don't know what's worse, the open or the fact they clearly don't have teleprompters and don't have their scripts memorized.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...