The worst news opens of all time

Somewhat off-topic, but speaking of KSHB...their newscast format back then was interesting to say the least.

It was highly experimental. For many stories, instead of an anchor reading a script live, they would voice-track the script over graphics or VO and music. Almost like little 20-30 second packages. The photography and presentation was fascinating as well; music on almost every story, lots of camera tilts, slowed-down shots, zooms.

And don't forget the newscast ending in "SEE YA!"

It's definitely worth a watch.

It almost reminds me of what Tegna is attempting today in terms of radical changes to traditional newscast formats. (The problem, IMO, is that Tegna is messing with established stations, while KSHB is an upstart, but that's for another thread.).

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
WHCP 2005-06 (Now WQCW)

I think they spent a wee too much money on that open.

Looks like Cinemagic work... they did a lot of medium-market stuff in the early-mid 2000's, but did have some bigger clients like KDKA and WMAR.

They sure did blow their budget on graphics instead of spending it on things more worthwhile from the sound of it.

• Like 3

WHCP 2005-06 (Now WQCW)

I think they spent a wee too much money on that open.

You know what's sad about that? The WSAZ-produce 10pm news is better than WHCP's own attempt at news and that's astonishing that news produced by a sister station offers a better quality than the one that the station tried to attempt on.

• Like 1

You know what's sad about that? The WSAZ-produce 10pm news is better than WHCP's own attempt at news and that's astonishing that news produced by a sister station offers a better quality than the one that the station tried to attempt on.

I have that newscast on tape. I will upload it sometime I know everyone is on the edge of their seats to see it.

bitmoji-20180824122205.png.ab9ea6d9dd88cc259975b7196b2b4aed.png

• Like 2

Looks like Cinemagic work... they did a lot of medium-market stuff in the early-mid 2000's, but did have some bigger clients like KDKA and WMAR.

They sure did blow their budget on graphics instead of spending it on things more worthwhile from the sound of it.

It is Cinemagic's work. It was based off of the FOX Toledo GFX package that CINEMAGIC did for them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

These Hearst theme songs are underwhelming along with their intros

Interesting. I used to get that station at my college in Vermont, and I really liked their opening for the nightly slots (opening with a booming announcement of their calls and market: "WCVB TV BOSTON!). This was back in the mid-90's. Still a good station, apparently., I'm watching the breaking news report on the gas fires right now.

• Like 2

Marcinkiewicz looks like a lost school girl in some dark Kansas City alley.

She was shaking her head a lot there. She's been here in Pittsburgh for close to two decades now. She seems better suited as a beat reporter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2018 at 9:20 PM, Yankees4life said:

Found one just after they switched to NBC

Oh my God what is that news music they're using. That whole newscast would give me nightmares.

• 2 weeks later...