The worst news opens of all time

I accidentally posted it in the Holy graphics knockoff thread, but I think this news open can show you how mis-matched it is.

I don't think the open is bad...

But KSTP somehow managed to use every VO guy of this era save for Charlie Van Dyke.

If you listen to the opens on NMSA, it starts with Ernie Anderson, then Roger Thompson, then John B. Wells, then Chapin. 4 VOs in a 5 year span. (and those are just the ones we know about!)

• Like 5

I don't think the open is bad...

But KSTP somehow managed to use every VO guy of this era save for Charlie Van Dyke.

If you listen to the opens on NMSA, it starts with Ernie Anderson, then Roger Thompson, then John B. Wells, then Chapin. 4 VOs in a 5 year span. (and those are just the ones we know about!)

They also used Chapin prior to using that open from 1989-1990, during his early days at WSVN. Might’ve been his second news VO job.

Also with WNEM finally using some graphics that look good, which Meredith station is now currently the most primitive-looking?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
I accidentally posted it in the Holy graphics knockoff thread, but I think this news open can show you how mis-matched it is.

My oh my Wendy Lubovich. <3 I know this is off topic but even though she's retired now if I watched her back then, she would've been my crush. KSTP was lucky to have her for a decade if not, longer.

• Like 1

Have we ever talked about the WITI Six is News era?

The individual elements of the open really aren't bad, but the mishmash of the intense "It's on Fox" sounder/edgy "Six is News" brand with the orchestral FAT Package and Norman Rockwell-esque clips was just...yuck IMO. Water and oil.

Still better than WJW's "ei8ht is News" period from around the same time-- they didn't constantly repeat the moniker at every turn.

• Like 6

In what way? I love Strive. These new cuts have a nice sound to them.

Different strokes for different blokes I guess.

That theme music does not scream to me news. It's like I'm preparing to watch a Luau or golf or something. Also the intro is very underwhelming. Hearst's intros and themes in the past were an ear worm and the intro actually resembled a news telecast

• Like 2

And we got another winner

Talk about an underwhelming open

That’s just a standard 2000’s Gray open to me. Not bad, not great.

You must be a youngin’... this is what that open replaced. I remember WCTV being mocked around these parts for having this logo:

• Like 3

You must be a youngin’... this is what that open replaced. I remember WCTV being mocked around these parts for having this logo:

I like it - someone cared about theatrics with the anchors walking on the set. Some 3D action, gold, and well, it's definitely distinctive which is more than I can say about half of the opens these days.

That logo animation looked like it came from a demo reel to show what the animators could do.