The worst news opens of all time

• 11 months later...

WABG in Greenville/Greenwood MS in 1999, VERY Small Market Looking even for 1999, Especially the Talent Open

KKYK-LP, the WB Affliate in Little Rock in 1999, Only lated a few Months and was a Virtual Set, Very Obvious

WSAZ in Charleston/Hunington West VA, not a bad open, just the fact that they are using Balls & Walls in 2002, Way Outdated,

WIVT in Bingahtom, NY the Logo was done back in 1998 and is still used and some of the graphics even though full daliy newscasts have been gone since 200

KOTA in 1999!!! Yes, 1999 FR!! they ran like this till may of 2000 but this is still Very Outdated!!

KTVF in Fairbanks in 2002. WTH is this open, like what is going on here

WABG in Greenville/Greenwood MS in 1999, VERY Small Market Looking even for 1999, Especially the Talent Open

KKYK-LP, the WB Affliate in Little Rock in 1999, Only lated a few Months and was a Virtual Set, Very Obvious

WSAZ in Charleston/Hunington West VA, not a bad open, just the fact that they are using Balls & Walls in 2002, Way Outdated,

WIVT in Bingahtom, NY the Logo was done back in 1998 and is still used and some of the graphics even though full daliy newscasts have been gone since 200

KOTA in 1999!!! Yes, 1999 FR!! they ran like this till may of 2000 but this is still Very Outdated!!

WSAZ has the best open from this list. I don't care if that was 2002, WSAZ is still amazing and that music was on point.

WSAZ has the best open from this list. I don't care if that was 2002, WSAZ is still amazing and that music was on point.

Very true Indeed, just thinking that it was a little outdated but went great with the music

WABG just needs an owner that gives a damn about news and presentation rather than being concerned with owning every station in town.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
That KXD...I nearly busted out in total laughter after seeing that.

Someone got ALL the use out of that "2,500 fonts for $9.99" disc they picked up at Wal-Mart ;). And every darned effect they could find in their graphics machine.

For me though, the ad for "96.9 KYSC FM" did it for me. Not even using the correct format KISS FM has, and not using the KISS FM brand name to make sure Clear Channel didn't discover it...yeah, that's real genius there.

OMG, Crystal Bee split in half at the end of her weathercast! :eek: I hope she's OK...seriously, what A/V club failure thought doing that was a good idea?!

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This open is from Argentina (I previously posted it on the International News section), belongs to the TV channel Telefe, and aired between April 1997 until June 1998.

It's a good open, with a lot of time-lapse shots and a virtual studio; the music is the thing I dislike.

• Like 2

The one thing worse than a lousy news open?

Not having one at all.

It's a troubling trend as some stations have given up entirely and just dump straight into the news as if they're coming back from break.

Maybe a breaking news stinger to start it off, but that's it.

Some stations have made the compromise to make the "breaking news" open that's quick and serves the dual purpose.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Going to have to add KLST to this list. I don't know what exactly they did, the animations and color is completely off in their open!

WAWV used this exact same package before going HD and did not look near as bad. I couldn't find their opens so here is the FOX version that WFXP uses. See how the animation is a whole lot smoother and the color looks better?

• Like 1