KSN on air apology

semistatic

Video:

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/5093496.html

Text:

KSN Apology

WICHITA, Kansas, Jan. 4, 2007 - KSN would like to apologize for an incident on our air this evening.

If you were watching our six o'clock show, you heard something that should never be broadcast on a network-affiliated television station, for any reason.

An expletive made it over the air during a sports report when our sports anchor, Jim Kobbe, thought his microphone was off.

But even though Jim didn't think anyone could hear him, KSN believes there is never an excuse for something like this to happen.

So we will simply say "we're sorry" to those who were listening. And along with our apology, we offer assurance that the proper disciplinary action is underway.

We ask for your understanding and continued viewership here at KSN.

Oh gee, he cussed. And on air, too?

Looking around, my walls are still standing, the world hasn't ended (or, at least it hasn't here in Starkville, MS...don't know about the rest of you...but this website is still up so I'm guess y'all are safe too).

Guess what, KSN, most likely more than 90% of the viewers who saw the sports reporter let loose with an expletive looked at their partners and said "oh shit...did he really just say that?" and probably rewound the TiVo just to make sure!

Curse words exist...they are spoken by a majority of the public. Get over it.

But, instead, they will over-react and most likely can the sports reporter. No, no...most likely he will be "resign to spend more time with his family" thereby sparing any more "embrassment" for the station.

Get a grip.

And to answer your question, TexasFury: I'll take the under and say "zero", "zilch", "nada."

I wonder how many days the unmentioned sound guy was suspended.

it wasnt the sound guys fault, the sports guy should know not to say ANYTHING until the studio speakers kick on, thats when he knows his mic is clear. or he waits until his floor director tells him hes clear.

I don't know, I may be old fashioned but I always thought the best policy for a station be it news or radio when someone's mic is left on was to ignore it, hope nobody was watching, and move on so as not to draw so much attention to a station.

Although, this is 1990's thinking before the age of youtube, when virtually every broadcasted mistake is tivoed and uploaded for the amusement of others at your station's expense...

Actually, Ron and Sheryl were watching when it happened.

Jim Kobbe is a class guy who routinely wins the Eagle's most like sportscaster poll year in and year out.

He got a two day suspension, and that ought to be it.

Archived