February 17, 2009... Are You Ready?

Vlad

Well, lets kick this forum off! It may seem like a long ways away, but everyone knows how time flies. So does anyone have any Analog televisions that will require a DTV Convertor box? I have only 2 at this point, but we plan on replacing them anyway, and since we currently are subscribed to cable television service (iO Digital Cable), they will automatically convert the basic analog family cable (Channels 2 - 99) into digital. I will get a converter box anyway just for the heck of it though :). I already have 3 HDTVs with ATSC tuners, 1 of which happens to be my computer monitor, lol.

My grandparents still have antenna, An antenna system from the 50's (with that flat, thin cable), so I will not only get to install the box, but likely replace the antenna, if indoor antennas don't work.

My grandparents still have antenna, An antenna system from the 50's (with that flat, thin cable), so I will not only get to install the box, but likely replace the antenna, if indoor antennas don't work.

I forgot about other people I know... my aunt and uncle have an ancient TV with a regular outdoor antenna. This brings up another point, other than news junkies like us, are there a lot of people that are doing all of this themselves?

I'm thinking many people just don't think about it and put it off until "later."

Been ready for the digital age of television for a very long time now. I had cable at the apartment but switched to AT&T's U-Verse... it was interesting. Personally, I loved it but had an issue with the slowness of the reciever... Took awhile to navigate through the menus and on-screen guide. I am hearing the same complaints about Time Warner Cable's new on-screen guide system.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there... Using DirecTV now, have one HD reciever... it has the DVR... and it was very expensive. (I don't think a reciever should cost half the price of the TV...)

Whatever.

I forgot about other people I know... my aunt and uncle have an ancient TV with a regular outdoor antenna. This brings up another point, other than news junkies like us, are there a lot of people that are doing all of this themselves?

I'm thinking many people just don't think about it and put it off until "later."

My grandmother got a new TV last year and it's digital, the only stations that are hard to pick up on there are WSFX and the Ion station from Fayetteville. You really have to get the antenna a certain way to get all the stations (well... WWAY, WECT, WBTW, WPDE, UNC-TV, and WFXB). She has two other TVs that need converters.

My cousin's family also gets the local stations analog OTA, and they have 6 TVs (one of them they want to replace with an HDTV so it'll be digital).

I got mine on Thursday, they give you two red credit cards, it pays up to $40 each, and you can't combine together. Mine expire in June because I signed up in January.

My mom's room and the living room have iO digital, my sister has a digital TV, but my room and a spare in the basement needs a box. I need to find a decent one.

I'm just going to get a VCR with an ASTC tuner. The only disadvantage is that it takes up a power outlet...

Do the ASTC Converters take up a power outlet too?

I think the ATSC tuner boxes do take up outlets.

I'm just going to get a VCR with an ASTC tuner. The only disadvantage is that it takes up a power outlet...

Do the ASTC Converters take up a power outlet too?

The converters are likely powered with a transformer brick plug, so it might take up a lot of space, too

We have DirecTV on all 3 sets. DirecTV said they will offer the HD Box on June in Puerto Rico. Our HDTV is ready, waiting for the HD Receiver. The other 2 TV's are good, but we are planning on buying a 2nd HDTV for my folks bedroom.

Well I know this is gonna sound crazy, But I have no plans right now to upgrade my 50-inch Big Screen TV because I'm planning to replace it by getting a 60-inch HDTV, But not until "Black Friday" comes around, because that's the only time I can afford it. It's kinda like a last minute attept if you ask me. But I'll still have to get converter boxes for the other TV's that we have.

Well we're already set with the transition except for one TV. We have 1 TV w/ a digital tuner integrated, and 2 TV hooked up to digital cable. The remaining one is getting analog cable. We might end up purchasing another HDTV or a converter box. We have enough cable already..

As for my cousin's house all their TVs are running off analog OTA, they're getting converters..

I can switch between analog and digital on my DTV set, and actually get more DTV channels.. (WPBT, WFOR, WTVJ, WSVN, WPLG, WLRN, WLTV, WBFS, WPXM, WSFL, WHFT, WSCV, WBEC, WAMI, and from West Palm: WPTV-DT, WFLX-DT, WXEL-DT, WHDT-LD and WPXP-DT).. The few that I can get on analog and not on digital are WJAN-CA (no digital service), WPEC (DT on VHF 13, hard to get), and the local startup independents WGEN's repeater, and 2 others.

My mom has an older analog set in her room, which I told her would need a converter box eventually. Our main TV is all well---aside from being hooked up to cable most of the time, it can receive digital OTA if necessary.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got DirecTV (never going to cable, ever) in one room so I am good. However in June I got my DTV converter box and hooked it up to the bed room TV which is, and I kid you not, a 19" Hitachi Sold State Color TV (yeah remember when Solid State was all the rage) from 1982! Whats funny about it is that since hooking up the DTV box to it, the TV is showing the best picture ever on it since I had cable hooked up to it back in 1985! I will have to post pictures of it one day, because its hilarious to see this 26 year old TV that just won't die, showing the local channels here broadcasting their news and programing in 16:9 and seeing it on TV with knobs and the finest in 1980s faux wood finish.

Archived