WPIX transition to HD

NYNews

As mentioned in the "Linda Church" thread WPIX got some new weather graphics in preparation for the HD switch. I thought it would best to start a new thread about it instead of the information embedded on the other thread. You can check out the caps from DMA on the "Linda Church" thread, or you can watch the weather forecast in the middle of the page on cw11.com. I hope they will add more changes in general. Because the graphics overall is very plain. So i guess WPIX transition to HD before WNYW. Hopefully this would attract more viewers because, as i've said many times, WNYW's newscast doesn't deserve to be #1 at 10pm.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very Thrilling! Its about time, they are the flagship station of the CW Network so its thrilling to see that happen. And their current graphics are already not that bad so it'll be interesting to see what they'll have next.

Nice. Overall I think it will be good. It's a shame they are keeping the set...it is very bland.

The same sentiments i have. Too bad they couldn't get a new set, perhaps one with a panoramic view of NY in the background.

Why doesn't anybody create a studio along the wall with a nice, big window and show a LIVE view opposed to a camera/taped "Live" view. Most of these studios are way in the buildings anyway (right?)...so wouldn't it be cool to see a city shot from the 35th floor?

And, another question. WPIX upgrading to HD, any idea if they're upgrading their news content too? :)

Why doesn't anybody create a studio along the wall with a nice, big window and show a LIVE view opposed to a camera/taped "Live" view. Most of these studios are way in the buildings anyway (right?)...so wouldn't it be cool to see a city shot from the 35th floor?

And, another question. WPIX upgrading to HD, any idea if they're upgrading their news content too? :)

What do you mean? The whole conversation is about the upgrade of the news op to HD. Primetime programming is in HD already, for the most part.

Not all the studio space is located at the edge of a building where a window could be installed and not all the studios are on high floors. For example, WABC's studio is tucked away at the back of the first floor of 7 Lincoln Square.

I believe using a studio with a window background has been done at least twice.

WNBC did it when Live at Five was done from the Today Show studio.

WCBS did it when the Noon broadcast was done from the Early Show Set.

Any hints on when the first HD broadcast for CW11 News will be?

Well in all honesty, nobody wants to have a giant window overlooking a city, i mean, you take a few stupid birds to fly into the window and go SMACK during a live newscast, or worse, having a huge severe thunderstorm and you hear nothing but rain pouring, see nothing but lighting flashing, hearing loud thunder, wind is blowing against the window making it shake, or what if a tornado touched down?? High winds would blow the news anchors off the set. What about a couple of window washers, you know, washing the windows while the anchor women is talking about the War in Iraq, they are waving to their kids back home....plus people could go up to the window, flick people the bird through it, people could make out in front of it....somebody could even pee on it because some people are dumb and would do anything to be on TV...cars honking, loud noises from the outside, car lights shining through the window...not to mention if the studio is above the 5 or 6 story, all you would see is the top of an adjacent building or two and the sky, not the whole panoramic view of the city and nothing below it....so yeah those are the drawbacks to having a live window....unless you are on the Today show or GMA and are located in Times Square, then the live window shot is NOT for you. Thank you very much. Reporting Live from the Newsroom, Joey Gill, Action News.

Jeez-not_agaian.jpg

Anyways, a better solution would be to have a RP system, linked to a live HD camera pointed at a good view. If the weather is too windy or something, it could simply revert to a pre-recorded background. I think a studio in WNET has a set like this, a BBC bureau I think.

First, KTLA, now WPIX....when will the KWGN and WGN follow.

I'd expect the new KSWB news operation in San Diego to be in high definition when it restarts this August after the station gains the Fox affiliation from XETV. So perhaps around that time, or shortly thereafter?

is it me, or have they slightly changed the way the camera shots are framed? There are various new shots, and they make the set look much better than previously, with more shots of the skyline.

Edit: It almost looks like they moved the desk slightly, although I highly doubt that, along with a new plasma, I think:

eyetvsnapshot65kg0.th.jpg

What do you mean? The whole conversation is about the upgrade of the news op to HD. Primetime programming is in HD already, for the most part.

I just meant the quality of their content...it was a slight jab at their fluffy newsgathering. Sorry.

===

Anyway, about the thunderstorm, bird-smacking, window shaking excuses. Come on...are you serious?

I don't want to look out my window and see thunderstorms but watch the news and see sunny, bright skies. And most screens behind a desk is a live camera somewhere with video on loop--I get that.

And I didn't know WABC was ground floor. In essence what I was getting at was studios like Today and ES only on a much higher floor.

Oh, and anchors getting blown over by winds--dude, I wasn't saying open the window.

is it me, or have they slightly changed the way the camera shots are framed? There are various new shots, and they make the set look much better than previously, with more shots of the skyline.

Edit: It almost looks like they moved the desk slightly, although I highly doubt that, along with a new plasma, I think:

Yea, I've notice the different camera angles as well. The LCD that used to be in the middle between Kaity and Jim has now been moved to Kaity's left, or from the viewers perspective, to our right.

Archived