Ch. 2's New Anchor Lineup

superbad

As sad as things are currently at WBBM, this is a perfect chance for them (and I mean everyone from the GM on down to the janitor) to step back, really LOOK at the current situation they're in and take definitive action in addressing the numerous issues they now face as well as past issues that have gone unresolved for years.

They need to work as a team to improve their image and news product. We know this and so do they. We also know (and have known for some time) what problems exist at WBBM and I'm sure they know what they are as well. Someone has to step up and take the lead to get them back on track. Money, graphics, a new set, etc...has not/will not help them in what they need to accomplish in the long term.

The time for action beyond words is here for WBBM and I hope they realize this and really put forth the effort necessary to build on what resources/people they have to improve the station/overall news product.

I'm kinda looking forward to seeing Rob & Roseanne anchor together.. Like someone said here before, that has a nice ring to it, just like Randy & Roseanne did. But I'm sure it won't compare to their chemistry.

I wonder if they'll have the exact same promo for Rob & Roseanne as this one..

This promo would work better with Rob & Roseanne or Roseanne & Rob.. Either way, it just feels right.

I think most people in Chicago are happy with their current news choices and just don't have any reason to switch to CBS 2 News. I am a big ABC 7 fan and pretty much have the TV on 7 throughout the day if I am home. I hardly ever watch NBC 5 or any NBC primetime shows. Occasionally I watch the Tonight Show and the 4:30 newscast because I like Bob Sirot and Marion Brooks. I don't watch their other newscasts with Warner & Allison. I do watch some CBS shows but I don't watch CBS 2 News. I've tuned in a few times just to see it, but I just don't care for it much compared to ABC 7. I hardly ever watch WGN, WFLD, WPWR, or WCIU, but I'm a big fan of MeTV 23.

It would take a lot for people to switch channels.

But the problem is not just the state of the economy. 7 and somewhat 5 still spend and spend to compete. 7 knows if you win in the ratings you win in sales. People will buy advertising if they know people tune into your news.

I fear that Ahern and Fowler realy don't have any compasion for those peope let go. They look at it like it is a business. But people care about their jobs. I think if Ahern would conduct himself in a better manner the critics would ease up on him.

For example how does Ahern put two people who belong to his church on the payroll. They come in once and awhile and deliver sermons. Hiow do you rationalize paying them as opposed to a news person who can actually do something.

I think what frustrates Ahern is that he just doesn't get it. News today is different than it was in the 80's. Imagine what it is like to be an old man in a young person's field. Plus the fact that someone else is running abc 7 quite well.

His ND also does not get it. Simple rule: you do not let the 10pm producer become the ep when he failed as a producer. It's not mean spirited just a fact. The enabling of people who haven't done it in 5 years is her specialty. I would give them all to May to improve. If not clean house again behind the scenes. Go into a nw building with the best and not the " we have to settle."

Larry Wet and Emily Baar represent classy gm's. They run their shops without making headlines. ahern has never grasped the concept of staying out of the public eye.

If you look at the WBBM-TV/CBS 2 clips on YouTube from the 80s, 90s, and today you'll see how the station has never stuck with anything. They have changed the logo, theme music, studio set, and anchors numerous times. There is no consistency. Their programming schedule has changed too with different syndicated programs juggling timeslots throughout the years. However, today I will say their schedule seems a little more solid with syndicated hits like Rachael Ray, Judge Judy, Dr. Phil, and Entertainment Tonight.

One other thing that keeps ABC 7 on top is their strong syndicated programming schedule which has remained unchanged for nearly 20 years.

I was just thinking about a few "what ifs" regarding CBS 2. How do u think the new line-up woulda looked had Alita Guillen never left - where do u think she would have fit? Or if Randy Salerno was still with us, what would his role be now?

I'm thinking they never would have hired Anne State if Alita didn't quit, and Alita would be Diann Burns' replacement on all evening newscasts - 5, 6, & 10.

And I'm sure mornings would have went unchanged with Randy, Roseanne, Ed, Susan, and Bill continuing in their respective roles. Unless maybe Susan's role would still have been eliminated, but I doubt management would have messed with a good thing even with the huge budget cuts of late.

Also, now that Jim Williams will be on dawn patrol, who will Rob Johnson's primary substititue be? Derrick Blakley? Fun.

And with Roseanne Tellez on a day schedule when this all kicks in next week, who's gonna fill-in for Anne State when she's gone? Mai Martinez? Excellent. Or will Rob and/or Anne fly solo when the other's off? With such stellar options, particularly Miss Mai, I'm hopin solo.

Maybe Alita Guillen and our beloved Mary Ann Childers would've split the 5, 6 & 10pm news and the hiring of Anne State wouldn't ever happen. The biggest changes would've been at the weekend and weekdays news. Also we have to see how Ms. State can handle Chicago with Rob. If she does good, I think she can handle solo.

Archived