Ch. 2's New Anchor Lineup

superbad

Thoughts??

My take is they are screwed. Williams and Hartman in the morning. Snoozefest.

5:00 AM – 7:00 AM - Jim Williams and Kristyn Hartman

11:00 AM - Jim Williams and Roseanne Tellez

5:00 PM - Rob Johnson and Roseanne Tellez

6:00 PM and 10:00 PM - Rob Johnson and Anne State

Weekend Morning News - Suzanne Le Mignot and Mike Puccinelli

Weekend Evening News - Derrick Blakley will join Mai Martinez

ALSO, SUSAN CARLSON LOSES HER TRAFFIC SPOT WHICH IS BEING ASSUMED BY KRIS HABERMEHL AND IS BEING SHIFTED TO GENERAL ASSIGNMENT REPORTER AT 5 6 10.

DON SCHWENNEKER GETS STEVE BASKERVILLE'S SPOT AT 5. I GUESS STEVE'S ON THE WAY OUT TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT SURPRISINGLY, RYAN BAKER GETS THE TOP SPORTS JOB AT 5 6 10

MARY KAY KLEIST GOES BACK TO DOING ALL WEEKEND SHOWS WEATHER

THE SUCKINESS IS FAR TO GREAT TO MEASURE!!!

Don't u love Carol Fowler's sentiment at the end of the press release? PUKE!

THE

I'm glad to see Roseanne Tellez on at 5pm. I guess Anne State is arriving early. I thought she was coming April 21st. I'm surprised though Susan Carlson didn't get the morning anchor spot, but maybe she didn't want it. At least now, the newscasts have some variety with likeable anchors.

Mary Kay Kleist should get the 5pm weekday weather spot!

They had Diann Burns and it didn't help. I don't know for sure but I think Jim Williams is Afro American, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong

I was trying figure out if he was African American. I dont know

Am I the only one here to notice Rob Johnson's new behavior the past couple days on the newscasts? He hasn't been so uptight today and yesterday like he usually is. He seems to have really loosened up. He has also brought some sense of humor to the evening anchor desk. He hasn't been his usual "serious anchorman". The chemistry between Rob, Steve Baskerville, and Megan Mawicke is seems to work really well. I have not seen this much non-fake genuine laughter and smiles at the anchor desk for a while. I only just noticed this after watching CBS 2 News yesterday and today. I'm liking this new improved Rob Johnson. I hope he stays this way.

Did anyone else catch Rob's comment to Steve Baskerville on the 6PM newscast tonight about the weather this weekend being a "morale booster" there?

Also, not related to WBBM talent, the last of the original flat panel plasma TV's from the original 2002 Devlin Design Group news set, which was currently being used at the stand-up portion of the news set, finally crapped out a couple weeks ago. They went out and bought a new flat panel. What gets me is they couldn't have bought the same or somewhat similar flat panel TV. Their set currently has 3 flat panel TV's, all the same size; however, they're all different brands/styles.

It also seems that they have finally fixed the lighting on the news set on Monday. Ever notice the difference in the lighting on CBS 2's news set during the week and on weekends? It's not so bright on the set anymore during the weekdays. It doesn't look like a really bright light is shining on the anchors' faces anymore. The lighting looks right now and the blues on the set look the way the blues should look. It's about time. I have the feeling this one had to do with someone who got layed off.

I was trying figure out if he was African American. I dont know

Yes, Jim Williams is African American. So is Ryan Baker and Meteorologist Steve Baskerville. There is always going to be at least 1 African American in the evening news talent line-ups in Chicago. It's just an unwritten rule around here.

I know I'm going to get some e-mail saying "What about FOX Chicago's The Ten?" so I'll just answer that one now.. The answer to that one is easy. Darian Trotter reporting is exclusive to "The Ten" plus Robin Robinson makes at least an appearance on "The Ten" for "4 Things You Need To Know" and/or "Around The World in 80 Seconds".

The new anchor lineups suck ass. Who's idea was it to get rid of the only bright star on the morning news, Susan Carlson, and make her a general assignment reporter?

Nice "press release" CBS 2. I've been watching channel 2 for a long time, and throughout all of the changes for the past 12 years. But this is the last straw. No wonder the station is in last place, and I bet it's going to get even worse now.

I know I probably won't be watching.

Am I the only one here to notice Rob Johnson's new behavior the past couple days on the newscasts? He hasn't been so uptight today and yesterday like he usually is. He seems to have really loosened up. He has also brought some sense of humor to the evening anchor desk. He hasn't been his usual "serious anchorman". The chemistry between Rob, Steve Baskerville, and Megan Mawicke is seems to work really well. I have not seen this much non-fake genuine laughter and smiles at the anchor desk for a while. I only just noticed this after watching CBS 2 News yesterday and today. I'm liking this new improved Rob Johnson. I hope he stays this way.

Did anyone else catch Rob's comment to Steve Baskerville on the 6PM newscast tonight about the weather this weekend being a "morale booster" there?

Also, not related to WBBM talent, the last of the original flat panel plasma TV's from the original 2002 Devlin Design Group news set, which was currently being used at the stand-up portion of the news set, finally crapped out a couple weeks ago. They went out and bought a new flat panel. What gets me is they couldn't have bought the same or somewhat similar flat panel TV. Their set currently has 3 flat panel TV's, all the same size; however, they're all different brands/styles.

It also seems that they have finally fixed the lighting on the news set on Monday. Ever notice the difference in the lighting on CBS 2's news set during the week and on weekends? It's not so bright on the set anymore during the weekdays. It doesn't look like a really bright light is shining on the anchors' faces anymore. The lighting looks right now and the blues on the set look the way the blues should look. It's about time. I have the feeling this one had to do with someone who got layed off.

I watched briefly and yes Rob seems different and they all get along well. Maybe they are glad Diann is finally gone.

I like Roseanne Tellez, I'm even thinking she woulda got the 10 if she wasn't going on maternity leave soon. But I'm having a hard time understanding why they keep her, and lose Mary Ann Childers. It's no secret Roseanne makes A LOT of dough, maybe even more than Mary Ann was making? I don't know, maybe that's wrong. But that's why Roseanne came over from WGN, Joe Ahern offered her what was even quoted in the paper as "an obscene amount of money for a morning anchor".

So how did she manage to hang-on over Mary Ann? Is it BECAUSE she's going on maternity leave and they don't wanna risk a lawsuit if they let her go right now? Is it because she's already been through enough losing her co-anchor and buddy Randy Salerno? Is it because she and Carol Fowler go way back?

All that said, even tho of course I'd much rather it be Mary Ann, I'm kinda looking forward to seeing Rob & Roseanne anchor together.. Like someone said here before, that has a nice ring to it, just like Randy & Roseanne did. But I'm sure it won't compare to their chemistry.

Moving on to Susan Carlson, I can't believe how they shafted her. After 5 years of working like a dog, being such an important element of a rising morning show, and picking up the slack as of late, this is how they reward her. What a bunch of jerks. But I agree Kristyn Hartman's better with Jim Williams than Susan, and that's the other thing - if now they're going to pair them together, doesn't this just prove that the only reason Mai Martinez got the weekend gig over Kristyn months ago was becasuse of her race? Not that we didn't already know that, but could it be any more obvious!

I like Roseanne Tellez, I'm even thinking she woulda got the 10 if she wasn't going on maternity leave soon. But I'm having a hard time understanding why they keep her, and lose Mary Ann Childers. It's no secret Roseanne makes A LOT of dough, maybe even more than Mary Ann was making? I don't know, maybe that's wrong. But that's why Roseanne came over from WGN, Joe Ahern offered her what was quoted in the paper as "an obscene amount of money for a morning anchor".

So how did she manage to hang-on over Mary Ann? Is it BECAUSE she's going on maternity leave and they don't wanna risk a lawsuit if they let her go right now? Is it because she's already been through enough losing her co-anchor and buddy Randy Salerno? Is it because she and Carol Fowler go way back?

All that said, even tho of course I'd much rather it be Mary Ann, I'm kinda looking forward to seeing Rob & Roseanne anchor together.. Like someone said here before, that has a nice ring to it, just like Randy & Roseanne did. But I'm sure it won't compare to their chemistry.

Moving on to Susan Carlson, I can't believe how they shafted her. After 5 years of working like a dog, being such an important element of a rising morning show, and picking up the slack as of late, this is how they reward her. What a bunch of jerks. But I agree Kristyn Hartman's better with Jim Williams than Susan, and that's the other thing - if now they're going to pair them together, doesn't this just prove that the only reason Mai Martinez got the weekend gig over Kristyn months ago was becasuse of her race? Not that we didn't already know that, but could it be any more obvious!

I'd have to agree. After all the switcheroo, I think Susan Carlson got the raw end of the deal here. She's a versatile personality (was she working 6 days a week?!?), and unless they plan on using her as a fill-in anchor which I don't see happening, it's quite a shame.

After Randy's death, I had a feeling Roseanne was going to be shifted out of the morning slot. Why bother trying to find a suitable replacement with the chemistry close to what Randy and Roseanne had when you can just start fresh with a new anchor team?!? Who ever they would have selected to sit beside Roseanne at the anchor desk would've just been "Randy's replacement". Big shoes to fill (literally and figuratively).

I'd give Rob Johnson and Anne State a chance. I'm not completely content with the rest of the anchor lineup.

I wish they'd rebrand as just Channel 2 News or something besides CBS 2 News. Every station in Chicago sounds the same--CBS 2 News, NBC 5 News, ABC 7 News, Fox News Chicago...stations in other markets have some individuality--like WSB in Atlanta - Channel 2 Action News, WXIA in Atlanta - 11 Alive News, KABC in LA - ABC 7 Eyewitness News, WCVB in Boston - NewsCenter 5, and WISH-TV in Indianapolis - 24 Hour News 8.

Could CBS 2 use the Eyewitness News name or does WLS have that reserved to use again? Channel 7 hasn't used it for about 12 years now. They could do a rebranding campaign saying Eyewitness News is back in Chicago and it's on Channel 2.

as ive stated, i am thrilled taht Diann is gone.

Rob does seem different, he seems to be more comfortable, like he was at ABC7, I am sure having a personality like burns next to you would make you stiff and jittery.

Im looking forward a lot to Rob and Roseanne, I like roseanne and think she will make a great afternoon anchor.

It's possible. But we can hope Carol gets the axe soon. She has been longer than Dianne Doctor was in WCBS and hasn't produced ANY changes in ratings. Can't believe she has been there for this long. And still hoping to get Mary Ann Childers back.

It's possible. But we can hope Carol gets the axe soon. She has been longer than Dianne Doctor was in WCBS and hasn't produced ANY changes in ratings. Can't believe she has been there for this long. And still hoping to get Mary Ann Childers back.

Why are they keeping Joe Ahern?

They need to completely revamp with a new logo, newscast title, theme music, and a new set that's not so blue!

Why are they keeping Joe Ahern?

They need to completely revamp with a new logo, newscast title, theme music, and a new set that's not so blue!

-------------------------

I wish they'd rebrand as just Channel 2 News or something besides CBS 2 News. Every station in Chicago sounds the same--CBS 2 News, NBC 5 News, ABC 7 News, Fox News Chicago...

Could CBS 2 use the Eyewitness News name or does WLS have that reserved to use again? Channel 7 hasn't used it for about 12 years now. They could do a rebranding campaign saying Eyewitness News is back in Chicago and it's on Channel 2.

He's a "corporate yes man". The higher ups like that..

CBS 2 is going in a different direction now. Realization at WBBM of not going up much in ratings has set. CBS 2 being #1 or even #2 in Chicago no longer the mindset goal at this time. Now, it's about raising the profit margin in the position they're in. Kind of like what WFLD does. The station may not be in first or second place, but the station can make the same or close to the same money but cutting costs/expenses in various areas. It's more about financial management now. This is also the same with other CBS O&O's now.

New "image" (for the most part) is coming along with the new building. Time and money won't be wasted implementing that stuff at the old building. The logo will remain the corporate CBS 2 logo.

As for the "CBS 2 News" branding, that most likely won't change. Eventhough ABC 7 no longer uses the title "Eyewitness News", they are still holding on to the rights to it. Plus, people would still associate "Eyewitness News" to ABC 7 so I really wouldn't think CBS 2 would want that. The Chicago market is really a corporate branding market when it comes to news or just about anything else. The Chicagoans aren't really into too many gimmicky things or unnecessary things on newscasts. The main reason for ABC 7 getting rid of the "Eyewitness News" title back in 1996 was because they made it to #1 and it was no longer necessary. "Eyewitness News" was pretty much a gimmick title for a format started in the late 60's. It worked. Personally, I prefer just "ABC 7 News". It's simple and down to the point. I think hearing the title "CBS 2 Action News" or something like that would make people here not want to watch CBS 2 News even more. Rumors/ideas have been floating around that CBS 2 might try just calling their 10PM newscast "2 at 10" or something like that but reporters will still tag with and graphics will still say "CBS 2 News".

Archived