Repost: Source: ABC moving away from circle 7; changing first at WLS

Sam Horn

Copied from the Chicago board (see the "ETA:" note near the end). Sorry for double posting, but this definitely has New York interest.

-------

I just got tipped last night by a very good friend who works at a design firm in New York. Apparently, ABC is looking to reimage some of their stations, especially those utilizing some form of the circle -- including the circle 7.

It seems they've done some screen tests, and other shapes actually work better in HD and will work much better come next year when digital/HD signals are converted onto standard definition sets. They want to move away from circle branding, which they admit is a strong brand, to something viewers will respond better to visually.

I know we have an "insider info" rule, but I figure this is okay since my friend doesn't work for ABC, but works for a firm contracted by them.

He says they're working for a Chicago launch -- must be WLS, right? With SFO and New York shortly thereafter. He says that the firm has been given an October deadline to finalize the drafts and have a ready-to-go concept.

I kind of like it -- simple, elegant. But I do like me some circle 7. Thoughts?

ETA: Could explain why the new graphics have been so delayed at WABC, right? Someone should put that up in the NY board -- I don't want to be a double poster. (Ended up being one anyway, lol. Sorry!)

styled7_concept_draft2_abcWLS-TV.jpg.eaffa3bf3df28b0071f2270bcbfd011e.jpg

Not breaking insider info rules, I'm not aware that there is plan to move away from the circle-7, and our HD graphics already take into consideration 1080i resolution. I personally have not heard any information about this new logo.

Just remember - today is April 1st....

saw this and i couldn't resist posting...

come december, the circle is out. i can't confirm this is the new design -- i don't want sam horn's friend to get in trouble -- but this is what abc is "leaning" toward. :)

eta: nynewsguy, i don't know who you are, but i've DEFINITELY heard and have been told otherwise. and what's the insider info rules?

WTF???!!! Oh, God No! Not the beloved circle 7...besides KABC and KGO just updated their logos. That logo looks just like the one KXLY-TV 4 in Spokane uses, and we all know Spokane is not a major market. This is an ugly logo.

I warn ABC this is going to be a big mistake. For god sakes, don't do it!

Joke or no joke, the thought of them leaving that recognizable circle 7 logo recognized by nearly everyone who watches TV here in New York and the other big cities with that logo, would truly stink. That new logo in my opinion is atrocious and disgusting... I hope WABC keeps the logo they have.

Joke or no joke, the thought of them leaving that recognizable circle 7 logo recognized by nearly everyone who watches TV here in New York and the other big cities with that logo, would truly stink. That new logo in my opinion is atrocious... I hope WABC keeps the logo they have.

I agree. The circle 7 is something many of us in the Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York markets have seen for decades, and it would just be odd to see another logo when the circle 7 has been around for so many years.

I also made a few phone calls, and they didn't know anything about the logos switching in the future.

Archived