BBC News rebranding

cityprod

There's a major rebrand of BBC News output beginning Monday with the BBC News website. It will eventually encompass all BBC News output on Television, from the main BBC1 bulletins, through BBC News 24 and BBC World.

New Title sequences and new graphics are planned as I understand it. Soon as I get an aerial connected to my tuner/capture card, I'll be able to do some caps.

At around the same time, BBC News 24 and BBC World are moving studios. BBC World will move into the current News 24 set in N8, whilst N6 becomes the new home of BBC News 24.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, a couple of years ago was an update really, rather than a complete rebrand. This is going to be a very complete re-brand.

From April 21, we are due to see the following...

BBC News 24 change name to become BBC News Channel.

BBC World change name to BBC World News. (Yes, I know it already is called BBC World News in North America)

New titles for main national bulletins on BBC1

New titles for regional news programmes.

New graphics all round.

BBC News Channel moves to a new set in TV Centre studio N6

It is also expected at some point this year that BBC World News will move into the old BBC News 24 set in N8, though whether that will happen on April 21 or later in the year has yet to be confirmed.

The UK newspaper, The Sunday Times, reviews the changes at...

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article3735982.ece

All in all, a heck of a lot going on.

Every English region is using the titles shown in the link. I hope BBC Newsline, in Northern Ireland gets something new. When I was in Dublin, Newsline looked horrible.

So far I like what I'm seeing. I hope BBC London uses the exact same titles as seen on the link; the stuff they have right now is just horrifying.

If you scroll down the page, a sample of BBC London News is there.

So far I like what I'm seeing. I hope BBC London uses the exact same titles as seen on the link; the stuff they have right now is just horrifying.

I'm hoping that Spotlight South West, our regional news magazine where I live, keeps the lighthouse motif that has been so much a part of the programme over the previous 16 or so years. Since they seem to be using local landmarks in their regional titles, I'm hoping that the landmark they use at the end, will be Smeaton's Tower, which is the lighthouse that sits on Plymouth Hoe, and was the original lighthouse motif used back in the early 1990s.

This YouTube video shows the motif in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC1hs4YXIqQ&feature=related

and TV Ark has clips of the title sequences.

http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/bbcsouthwest/bbcsouthwestnews.html

If you scroll down the page, a sample of BBC London News is there.

I saw it. I guess I should've been more clear; I want them to use the exact same thing, and not do any tweaking of their own. Granted this is an organization-wide rebrand, so I'm not expecting BBC London to stray too far, but I just hope they don't go do their own thing and get crappy graphics (like the ones they have now) a year or 2 down the line.

Now I'm actually curious to see the new countdown on BBC World.

Re. Spotlight: I *loved* their lighthouse titles back in the 90s.

I mean, the titles and the regions look good, but everything else is euro-style graphics at it's worst. The newly named BBC News Channel has a nice set however.

Barring the titles and countdown, the rebrand is an unmitigated disaster.

The BBC should have looked to WBZ on how to do Euro graphics right. Their graphics are squares with text, and they don't even look good like CNNI's.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at it in whole, the new look does look like a disaster from a distance. If anything, the interesting part of it all is the use of white and red, with maybe one or two good points in the whole intro, but otherwise, it's just gross.

Archived