Changes at MSNBC

clind

Honestly, I guess this was inevitable, but Tucker is finally getting canceled on MSNBC alongside some other changes in their schedule which are supposed to start next week.

First off, with the show being canceled, Tucker Carlson is being turned over to a contributor position on the network, which personally I'm kind of sad to see happen. Secondly, the network is planning to replay Countdown at 7 PM PT (10PM ET), two hours after it's original broadcast, which makes sense (what?!). Third, the network is pretty much just moving down their Doc Block, running it straight from 11 ET to 2 AM ET.

Overall, all I have to say is that MSNBC is making some more boneheaded moves! Really, I mean really, how many more people are going to catch the same program two hours later and watch? Repeating the same hour, word for word, second by second, makes no sense for AC and their ratings usually show some weakness on their second hour. For that matter, the network is replacing Tucker's show with one just as likely to fail, hosted by David Gregory. While I like the guy, I question whether it's really going to have a chance to succeed.

Anyhow, anyone have any thoughts?

Secondly, the network is planning to replay Countdown at 7 PM PT (10PM ET), two hours after it's original broadcast, which makes sense (what?!).

It makes sense because the original airing is at 5pm PT, which is outside of West Coast PrimeTime. It's the reason why Fox News re-airs their primetime in it's entirity 3 hours after the original airing, so that they get a good West Coast PrimeTime audience number, and be able to increase their claim on how many people are watching Countdown. O'Reilly has often combined his 8pm ET and 8pm PT ratings to claim that over 4 million people watch his show, I wouldn't be surprised if MSNBC try the same tactic.

According to the PG, it seems Carlson's show will be replaced by David Gregory's new show, "The Race for the White House." Seriously, how well will this show do? And what's going to replace it after November? Additionally, Andrea Mitchell will now be anchoring on the network.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08070/864014-237.stm

This was brought up at one of the other sites I visit, and the question becomes, how well can these important correspondents do their work when they have to work in part on a program? Gregory covers the White House, Mitchell does (um....maybe) international work, will these both suffer? Still, though I only watched moderately, Tucker was a nice program, political debate and discussion without the blandness of the Situation Room (which I do like) and the head chopping of Hannity & Colmes (which I can stand some days).

*Knowing the general history of MSNBC, you can probably bet we'll see another canceled show on the horizon. Nonetheless, the question also becomes what in the world they'll cover once we get past November, the election will be over and they'll have to figure out what to do with half their general coverage which is nothing more than discussion of the election, which I personally like.

Archived