KXAS doesn't bother breaking in during Tornado Warning

jdcnow

Somewhere, the late great Harold Taft is rolling over in his grave. During the night of Sunday 3.2.2008, our regional Nat'l Wx Service office in Fort Worth, had called a Tornado Warning for a county in our DMA. The other 3 Big Four stations were all over this like white on rice, as they should have been. KXAS? Hardly a peep out of them.

Now to be fair, I don't know what NBC stations normally do: do they normally run regular programming on the main channel and do severe weather coverage on the WeatherPLUS+ subchannel? If that's what they did, then I'll give them that. But all I saw Sunday night on KXAS at the time this happend was Extra. When there was a Tornado WARNING out.

Like I said, the other 3 main stations did fantastic jobs, each one of them. KDFW had the usual tag team: Dan Henry on-air, while Ron Jackson provided knowledgable analysis, monitored the National Weather Service chat session, and worked the HAM radios. WFAA had Pete Delkus (surprisingly professional, for once) and Steve McCauley. KTVT knocked it out of the park, with Gary Seith and newcomer Larry Mowry doing street-level mapping, etc. KTVT was the last one off, which surprised me, because KDFW usually is.

Flipping back and forth between stations, I might have missed something, but I don't recall KXAS doing one single break-in, period. What gives?

Um why does this matter? I don't see the point of breaking into programing for a tornado warning. This is Texas we're talking about here. I'm quite sure most Texans know what a tornado is and what to do during one. I mean they are only at the foot of what is known as tornado alley. Up here in the northeast, storm warnings merely get a crawl at the bottom of the screen. I'm quite sure viewers don't need to see someone pontificating about weather (usually to stroke their own personal ego). Point is, no one really cares.

I can see a problem here. ALL stations are required to break-in if they dont have a real EAS system which gives the weather radio alert voice on tv, if they dont have that there required to break in (WHIO has this system). It dosnt matter if tornado warnings dont always produce tornadoes, the National Weather Service is saying there is a likelyhood of a tornado, there is a reason behind a warning.

I can see a problem here. ALL stations are required to break-in if they dont have a real EAS system which gives the weather radio alert voice on tv, if they dont have that there required to break in (WHIO has this system). It dosnt matter if tornado warnings dont always produce tornadoes, the National Weather Service is saying there is a likelyhood of a tornado, there is a reason behind a warning.

I'm quite sure all of those stations have EAS. Dallas is a pretty large market and all 4 of those station have pretty rich owners.

Wait, you also just said "a county". Well, which one?

Does it really serve the public interest if they cause a panic when the weather alert is only for the 30 people in Bumblefucksylvania County?

Big market stations face this often -- in my mind, the three stations who broke in over regular programming were only being sensationalist. If the tornado warning were for Dallas County, then, yes, break in. Otherwise, I don't think you're being fair to KXAS.

Archived