Eyewitness News in High Definition

wabceyewitness

Hey "nynewsguy" --

Any word on the exact start date for Eyewitness News HD branding? I know you said earlier that it would begin before February sweeps. Do you think it will debut around the same time frame that WABC debuted the current set a few years ago, which would be around the weekend of (or after) Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day?

Hey "nynewsguy" --

Any word on the exact start date for Eyewitness News HD branding? I know you said earlier that it would begin before February sweeps. Do you think it will debut around the same time frame that WABC debuted the current set a few years ago, which would be around the weekend of (or after) Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day?

Yeah, well I believe that will be the case simply because, WABC usually does not debut new aspects of their newscasts during the February Sweeps, they do it well before so that viewers could adapt to the changes. So we could see the graphics in about 2 weeks or probably the last Saturday of this month, but then again I'm not completely sure, its just an assumption from what they did in the past. Nynewsguy really knows more, lol.

-Vlad

Hey "nynewsguy" --

Yeah, well I believe that will be the case simply because, WABC usually does not debut new aspects of their newscasts during the February Sweeps, they do it well before so that viewers could adapt to the changes. So we could see the graphics in about 2 weeks or probably the last Saturday of this month, but then again I'm not completely sure, its just an assumption from what they did in the past. Nynewsguy really knows more, lol.

-Vlad

Yeah, nynewsguy actually works at WABC, and he got to see the new look before we do! They are moving from the american flag color scheme, we don't know who made them, and they originally were going to debut alongside the HD debut, but they were having some problems loading them in.

I actually noticed on WABC (Sun, Jan 7) on the 11pm news that when they were talking about Storm Watch 7 they took a live look outside and instead of saying "LIVE", it said "LIVE[abc 7 logo]HD" and when Heidi did the weather she said "lets take a look at.....in high definition" so it looks like there putting HD things into place.

just so ya know, that's a "temporary" HD bug. The new graphics will have a MUCH nicer looking bug, and things will really fit together. Right now, the field cams are being put in place, and ALL of the "Eyewitness News" video will be shot and broadcast in HD when it all changes... That's something WNBC didn't do.

just so ya know, that's a "temporary" HD bug. The new graphics will have a MUCH nicer looking bug, and things will really fit together. Right now, the field cams are being put in place, and ALL of the "Eyewitness News" video will be shot and broadcast in HD when it all changes... That's something WNBC didn't do.

When do all the changes happen? I know you said previously that it would be in time for February sweeps...but that's now just three weeks away. Is WABC still on track to debut their HD image b February?

I actually noticed on WABC (Sun, Jan 7) on the 11pm news that when they were talking about Storm Watch 7 they took a live look outside and instead of saying "LIVE", it said "LIVE[abc 7 logo]HD" and when Heidi did the weather she said "lets take a look at.....in high definition" so it looks like there putting HD things into place.

They have been used that live bug since they debuted in HD. For some reason they don't use it all the time on the HD shots. I guess they forget to put it up sometime.

Yeah most of WNBC's live 16:9 SD reports look very soft and worse then the 4:3 SD cams they used to use.

Yeah most of WNBC's live 16:9 SD reports look very soft and worse then the 4:3 SD cams they used to use.

If you're watching on an HDTV, it's the TV that's making the SD reports look bad. HDTVs make standard definition programming look bad; it's just the nature of the beast.

If you're watching on an HDTV, it's the TV that's making the SD reports look bad. HDTVs make standard definition programming look bad; it's just the nature of the beast.

Yes I completely agree, if you have an HDTV and you are watching SDTV on it the programming looks a lot blurrier and much worse than it would on a regular SDTV. If they are just now adding the field cameras and everything then it looks like something that could probably be unveiled during the February sweeps instead of right before it starts. They still have 3 weeks though which is still more than enough time to get everything together rather quickly. As nynewsguy mentioned, They do have everything done its a matter of putting all the puzzle pieces together. I'm glad that they are going "fully" HD, meaning everything is shot in HD instead of the new set. I believe if something is gonna be in HD, everything has to be in HD not just the news set which WNBC has done and most of the other stations in the country. WABC seems to have it right. Looks like they may finally surpass KABC and WLS if they keep this up, lol.

-Vlad

Even watching the SD Ch4 the live reports still look soft from the 16:9 SD cams.

I think even worse is when they zoom and crop 4:3 SD video to fit the 16:9, it looks bad in HD and SD. I'd rather they leave the video in 4:3 and use the animated pillarbars.

Even watching the SD Ch4 the live reports still look soft from the 16:9 SD cams.

I think even worse is when they zoom and crop 4:3 SD video to fit the 16:9, it looks bad in HD and SD. I'd rather they leave the video in 4:3 and use the animated pillarbars.

like ABC7 uses...

I don't think viewers of channel 7 will have to adjust to anything prior to sweeps. Average viewers adjust to talent and the style in which news is reported. They don't care as much about the set and graphics as we think. It's not like they won't be the number one station next month anyway.

I don't think viewers of channel 7 will have to adjust to anything prior to sweeps. Average viewers adjust to talent and the style in which news is reported. They don't care as much about the set and graphics as we think. It's not like they won't be the number one station next month anyway.

I agree, HD or not, Graphics or not, Music or not, ABC 7 continues to pretty much be the best channel in the Tri-State, so they technically do not have to unveil anything as soon as possible. I'd rather wait and have them take their time, as long as possible until they get everything smoothly and stable before doing experiments like CBS 2 and failing as a result. It would be best to debut the graphics and the total change in September 2007 so that the graphics could match the set. ABC 7 could do with the same graphics and music for the next couple of months until the big change in the set and everything else in September - October of this Year (2007). They've been with the graphics and set for 3 years and they've been with the music for over 6 years and they still prevail. New set, new graphics, new music everything all at once is the best way to go.

-Vlad

OK...so I heard a rumor that WABC will debut their HD-branded stuff at the beginning of next week (around Jan. 29th). Any truth to this, anyone?

That's the beginning of sweeps ;-)

coded answers. I hope everyone knows what the colon-dash-close parenthesis means... I do.

If thats the case then, they will probably unveil it on Saturday. As this is usually their tradition, so besure to Watch Eyewitness News Saturday Morning with Phil Lipoff and Michelle Charlesworth on Saturday, to see if anything notable happens. If not then they will probably debut it on Sunday the latest, WABC most of the time does not usually unveil new graphics, and sets on Mondays, they usually do it on the weekends.

-Vlad

Archived