History Channel Bug

squiggyfm1

• 2 weeks later...
The Science channel recently jumped on the bandwagon.

Before:

science_radio_300.jpg

After:

Science_channel_logo_2007.jpg

The UK version, called Discovery Science, has also changed its logo in the same way.

Old logo, followed by new logo.

discovery_science.jpg.611f581d1444a726fb6137febe7c4f9b.jpg

NewDiscoveryScienceLogo.JPG.f552459d0691e2b419a6c6b0659c8dfb.JPG

History International also changed its logo to match the main channel. Interestingly, they haven't touched bumpers or promos... just the bug and the website.

hi_header.jpg

I think this looks better than the main History Channel logo, to be honest...

History International also changed its logo to match the main channel. Interestingly, they haven't touched bumpers or promos... just the bug and the website.

hi_header.jpg

I think this looks better than the main History Channel logo, to be honest...

I agree.

I also agree, but that's like saying dog crap looks better than cat crap - they're still shitty.

History Channel En Español and Military History Channel also have new logos.

icon_historyspan.gificon_milhistory.gif

Sorry they're so small, they're links to the channels' websites at the bottom of History.com, but they just redirect to History.com at the moment. Must be under construction.

Military History must've changed just in the last few days - it was still the older one when I checked to see.

Also, I have to underscore - they only changed the bug on History International. ALL other elements have the older logo.

• 2 months later...
Military History must've changed just in the last few days - it was still the older one when I checked to see.

Also, I have to underscore - they only changed the bug on History International. ALL other elements have the older logo.

If you followed me from the last topic, I'll pick up where I left off. If you are seeing this for the first time, I'll apologize for bringing up an old topic.

Hulkie, I think it was you that wondered why the arrow on the new logo is pointing forward-- I see it as all past events culminating into the present and the future. This is the one good thing about the rebrand-- one solid thing I like. It's a nice take on the old logo.

Now, the stuff I don't like. If you've followed them over the past few years, you've probably noticed that there's been a shift to more "reality" documentaries than historical programming. That's not a bad thing in itself, but let's not forget your core viewers here.

And the shows that they're running keep going down the hill, too. First, there was Ice Road Truckers, obviously their competition to "Deadliest Catch." I really enjoyed the first season, and am looking forward to the second. Now, there's "Ax Men," which was mindlessly boring and too graspy-at-the-straws, if you get my drift. I understand that all three are produced by the same person, but it's getting old. Ax Men was not compelling. In fact, it seems like History is trying to compete with Discovery, which I find insane.

In addition to the above, take a look at The Universe. Notice anything? Yeah, that's right. A warmed-over Planet Earth. Human Weapon? Fight Quest with different subplot. Monsterquest? Nope, that wasn't original either.

And Modern Marvels, once a staple of my evening routine, is devolving too. I watched an entire episode yesterday sponsored by True Value. The History of Hardware. Content-wise, it was still decent, but the journalist side of me was a little put off. Then I caught a new (Spring 2008) episode-- with a new open, new music, and a new narrator. I can tell you that if this new narrator is permanent, I won't watch any longer. Max Raphael is Modern Marvels to me, and remove him from the equation and things don't balance. (Take a look at their community forums-- I'm not the only one who feels that way.)

The new graphics are a little blah, but the snipes and the lowers are a definite improvement over that old marble lower-third motif they had there forever. They're still a little sterile and "tech" than I feel is ideal for a network that still calls itself "History." My biggest beef is over the loss of their music. So many composers and music houses, and yet that four-note signature was superb every time. It fit: it was eloquent and grand, nostalgic and comforting. Prior to this relaunch, branding was one of the channel's strong points. Now there's no more call to attention when they throw up programming slates; and remember that new episode of Modern Marvels I mentioned? I couldn't tell when they were returning from break, thanks to the new music. No discernible signature and it sounded just like production music. Balance that with the number of blase production music cuts used on commercials, and you have a muddled mess. I just don't get it; it seems like change for change's sake. I still him the network's former tune. Surely I'm not the only one.

As I said, the rebrand was overall a disappointment. The History Channel is now a network that, despite their forward-looking logo, no longer has a clear mission and solid branding. They're beginning to lost their solid content, too, and I hope that they'll be able to pull out of the slide before it's too late.

I have to agree. The History Channel of 2000/2001 is one of the best channel presentation packages I've ever seen. Every single element is unified, and everything works: the fonts, the footage, the graphics, but especially the music. RK Music did that version and it's just amazing - very epic feel. Especially those "A History Channel Presentation" stings, most notably that awesome one they used after shows where they had hosts. I think that's as close to a perfect look as a network can get, which is why I was saddened when they ruined it in 04.

The new look is good because it's consistent. The fact that everything matches up and looks unified is a major plus. I like the subtle redo of the logo (though I don't think I was the one who asked why it points forward). However, it pales in comparison to past identities.

You hit the nail right on the head. I could tell that a lot of stuff was half-rate knockoffs of what Discovery is doing recently, especially "The Universe". Which is ironic because Discovery's had recent success BECAUSE they've stuck with the remit.

Yeah. History is a shadow of what it used to be... but compared to some of the other networks these days, that's better than nothing. I mean, Cartoon Network is showing live-action programming. TV Land is showing original series.

Archived