Forecast sounds

RGSJenkins

In some stations, when they reveal the "whatever" day forecast, they play a sound like the NBC chimes, a part of the news theme, or a different sound. Do you know any station anywhere in the country that play a sound?

Here's the one I know: (It's a long list, bear with me):p (By the way, my 100th post!)

Chicago

WFLD

St. Louis

KTVI

Miami

WTVJ

WPLG

Atlanta

WGCL

WXIA

Philly

WCAU

Lima, OH

WLIO

San Francisco

KPIX

KNTV

Phoenix

KNXV

Nashville

WSMV

Washington D.C.

WTTG

Detroit

WDIV

Jackson, MS

WAPT

Orlando

WESH

WKMG

Dallas

KXAS

KTVT

KTXA

Hartford

WVIT

Providence

WJAR

West Palm Beach

WPTV

San Antonio

KENS

WFIE-Evansville plays the NBC chimes as does (or did...at least in 2005, before I moved) KPRC-Houston.

And I agree with you, Johnathan, I freaking hate the sound-effects for the forecast.

I cannot understand *WHY*...do they think people are dozing off during the weather segment? Or do they think people are just so stupid as to not recognize the forecast when it comes up? It's annoying consultant-driven tripe.

WXmanTim, I know what you mean. I hate it to. To answer your question on why they do it. I'm not exactly sure why, but this is what I think. In my opinion, they probably do it, to let viewers know that it is on, so if you're in the other room and you hear the music, then you know to come back to the tv to check it out. Now thats my opinion!!!

In my opinion, they probably do it, to let viewers know that it is on, so if you're in the other room and you hear the music, then you know to come back to the tv to check it out. Now thats my opinion!!!

Some stations like KTXA don't show the "Tonight, Tomorrow, Tomorrow Night" graphic, so that's why the sounder is played. But I like some of sounders like KTXA, WJAR, WLIO, KNXV, KTVI, etc.

When KCPQ first launched Mornings Live on Q back in 2000, they actually polled the viewers for what kind of sounder to use for the 5 day forecast (just for the morning show, not the 10pm). For the first week, they ran a different sounder each day (including one with a rooster), and the winner was a bunch of bells. A few years later, Walter Kelly got moved from the morning to the chief met gig, and they started using the bells on the 10pm too. I don't think they use it anymore.

WXmanTim, I know what you mean. I hate it to. To answer your question on why they do it. I'm not exactly sure why, but this is what I think. In my opinion, they probably do it, to let viewers know that it is on, so if you're in the other room and you hear the music, then you know to come back to the tv to check it out. Now thats my opinion!!!

And that's exactly the rationale Walter Kelly gave when KCPQ first started doing it.

WFLD plays a cut from the OSI FOX O&O package. Since the music logo has 7 notes, each note of the music logo is matched up with each day reveal of the 7 day forecast.

Haha, that is creative!! I wish KMSP would use that here!

As for Minneapolis: KARE uses NBC chimes, KSTP uses their In-Sink V.3 chimes, and KMSP and WCCO use no sounds at all for their forecasts. However, WFTC, back when it was FOX, used Third Coast chimes for theirs.

:p

My favorite weather sounders by network:

ABC: KNXV (ABC sounder)

CBS: KENS (swish-like sound)

CW: None

FOX: KTVI (Piano version of the FOX O&O theme)

IND: KTXA (a 6 note sounder)

MY: None

NBC: WTVJ & KNTV (same NBC chimes), WLIO (soft NBC chimes-like), and WSMV (harsh NBC chime-like)

WISN and WMTJ in Milwaukee each play chimes based on their packages.

WFRV hasn't been doing it for too long, but they now have forecast chimes [based on their package] as well.

WTMJ did have an Impact chime before the 7-day, but it's now a Wx+ chime, IIRC.

Also, WITI used to have a Magnum chime before their "Today/Tonight/Tomorrow" forecast.

/I miss Magnum.

WAGT used to play the NBC chimes on their old 7-day Forecast graphics, but it was phased out when WAGT left the "Action News" days. I wish they would bring it back.

WJBF used to play like a little "Counterpoint" chime, I don't know where they got it from but they used it but that was before they switched to the Media General graphics in 2003 then it was phased out.

WRDW sucks, they had no music and they still have no music before their full forecast graphics.

KFMB, during the LOCAL 8 era would always play a cut of 615's Right Here, Right Now on the 5 day and sometimes once in a while you'll hear a bit of Sieze the Day on the NEWS8 7 Day Forecast.

XETV just uses their swishes, metal scraping sounds, whoosh or other various sounds on their 5 Day, not only that, they tend to go a little overboard on sound effects when new L3's, OTS, or a Whole Screen Graphic pops up everytime.

Dallas

KXAS

KTVT

KTXA

KDFW still plays the old Outlaw musical logo. WFAA, a few years ago, experimented with this, playing the Spirit Of Texas/Evolution audio logo, but it never really worked for them, so they discontinued doing it.

Archived