Chris Wragge talks about his time at WCBS

qwertywcbs

Interesting quotes from this article I found while google newsing Roz Abrams.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNjcmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMzM4MzEmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3

"It's on every [dress] shirt that I own," referring to the word 'Rags.' It is a nickname that has followed him his entire life.

Referring to John Bolaris and Jim Rosenfield, "Literally, they're under a strict mandate now, 'No Rags,' " Wragge says, chuckling, as he repeats the station's new directive. " 'Now that he's not in sports anymore, you call him Chris.' "

"Kristine and I take an active role in the meetings to see exactly what the direction of the show is, what we've got coming up, so it's not like we're just out there presenting," Wragge says. "I don't want anyone to ever think that I'm some flippant sportscaster who's out there to read news because management decided that I fit the bill that they were looking for. I have such respect for the position."

"We'd watch the newscasts and then Cronkite afterward," Wragge recalls. "To be in this lineage now, it's flattering, and at the same time, it's a lot to live up to."

He asks his veteran news colleagues, including pal and golf buddy Dana Tyler, for constructive criticism. And they do give him "little tips," he says.

"...whether they died in a car crash or in Iraq, there's always a part of me that inherently feels a little bit guilty that last month, I was a sportscaster, and here I am now bringing that news to people."

"My biggest thing is to not embarrass any of the people that made the decision to do this," he says.

My favorite here...

When I came here, I replaced Warner, and that was amid quite a bit of public backlash," says Wragge, who attributes the mishandling of that transition to a "different regime."

Well, I wish news anchors would do this more often. It opens the doors into their minds a bit and lets us know what they think of themselves.

I find it funny that he's got his nickname on all of his dress shirts.

Last night, they had one of those Honda commercials that Warner Wolf does the VO for come on right before Sports Sunday started. I couldn't help but notice that.

Warner does voiceovers? And for Honda commercials? I never knew that. Maybe I'll have to start paying attention to things like that from now on.

Oh and Geoffrey, thanks for bringing NewsByte2 back. I thought it was gone forever when you made about an update or two every three months.

Archived