Brendan Keefe

qwertywcbs

I hope with all this WCBS bloodbathing that he doesn't go. He is a gold mine of a reporter. Sure WCBS has great reporters like Hazel Sanchez, Magee Hickey, Lou Young, Andrew Kirtzman, Marcia Kramer, etc., but he's ranks probably up as one of the best reporters in the city.

You can tell just by watching him that he is a very smart person. Numerous times hes been able to bring a perspective to something ordinary reporters can't. Just the other day, for some reason or another, at 5 and 6pm they had him in the chopper covering James Brown's body being at the Apollo, to which I never realized they had a camera inside the chopper.

Two of the most notable reports he's done were first when it was his first week at WCBS and he went down to Houston to cover the Columbia tragedy, since I believe he had just come from Houston. He had contacts there and was able to bring us more detailed information than the other NY reporters that went down were. And the second was Cory Lidel's plane crash. He called his nephew who had previously worked for the company that manufactured the planes and was able to provide us all the safety specs.

He's also very creative with his reports. Like the time he used pizza to show something (I forget what).

I just really hope he doesn't get lost in the WCBS rebloodbathing. It seems like all WCBS management feels firing people is the best way to work. Whoever was management during the '96 bloodbath, Joel Cheatwood replaced everyone (got rid of Stephen Clark, took Dana off 11, brought in Angela Rae, Ernie Anastos, Todd McDermott, Kirstin Cole, etc.), Dianne Doctor noticeable replaced everyone (too many names to mention), and now the Friend/Dunn duo is hard at work to live up to their predecessors.

Archived