Chelsea Irving's back!

former newsboy

Chelsea Irving did a live report from the control room on CBS 2 News at 10 last night. This has gotta be the first time she's been on in a year-and-a-half or so, after they scrapped freelancers. I wonder if her recent exposure with Randy Salerno in that King Tut headdress put her back in the minds of Channel 2 bosses.

I'm really glad to see her again, I always thought she was treated poorly - never being given a full-time gig after years of solid reporting. Especially after newcomers (at the time) like Kritstyn Hartman walk right on. Even though I like Kristyn. Hope Chelsea's here to stay!

I thought I remember Chelsea Irving being used a couple times early last year.

But I also thought she was moved up from a freelancer to a full time reporter? I found this article that I remember reading a couple years ago: http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:TNEXjoMBzz0J:findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20050914/ai_n15666540+Chelsea+Irving+wbbm&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us (which originally came from a Robert Feder column) that said she was moved up. I think at one point, she eventually got a bio on CBS 2's website.

As I'm looking through the bios page of CBS 2's website (http://www.cbs2chicago.com/bios), a couple questions come to mind. Some of the "freelance" or "per-diem" on-air staff (John Drummond, Lisa Dietlin, and Jim Mullen) have bios on the website. For almost a couple years after Jim Tilmon retired for good and moved back to Phoenix, he still had a bio on there as aviation expert/contributor but his bio is now gone. I thought I remember him being used last year. Does this mean WBBM is done with Tilmon for good now? I also thought I remember reading in a Feder column a while ago that CBS 2 wasn't going to have Jim Mullen as a reporter anymore but his bio is still up?

I find it interesting that Chelsea Irving is nowhere to be found on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBBM-TV_News_team; however, I never found Wikipedia to be reliable. I find quite a bit of misinformation on there. I noticed quite a bit of wrong years next to former anchor/reporter names. Plus I really like how someone spelled "decased" by John Drury's name. I'm glad many schools now don't allow students to use Wikipedia as a source. All I see it as (this page specifically) is information put together by some 15 year old TV news fan who probably isn't even in the Chicago market.. Also, Steve Baskerville is a Meteorologist now. I'm kind of drifting away from the topic now. Oh well..

• 6 years later...

What, this thread is only over 6 years old. LOL I don't even really remember it, I just did a google search and there it was so I figured might as well bring it back to life BECAUSE...

the same can be said again... Chelsea Irving's back! Just saw her do a live-shot on the 11AM news anyway. What a surprise!!! So is she freelance? Full-time? Or will it be another 6 years before we see her again? Jeez Channel 2, give the girl a job already!

Archived