WSFA to produce Dothan, AL Newscast...from 100 miles away

ProButtonPusher

No different than a station outsourcing to NewsCentral or that outfit in the midwest that produces news on Montgomery's ABC station, WNCT-32.

Media General-owned WHLT-Hattiesburg, MS is, for all intents and purposes, a repeater of WJTV-Jackson airing its newscasts during the morning, noon, five, six and ten slots.

Though the closest to this, I think, was the experiment between Bahakels WCCB-Charlotte and WOLO-Columbia to produce newscasts out of the Charlotte location...it didn't last long and WOLO went back to producing their own newscasts in Columbia.

At least the Dothan station is getting its own newscast.

Finally! A 9pm newscast in Dothan, but they are not one of the largest markets not to have one.

Until last year, WZDX in Huntsville did not have a 9pm news, and there is still no weekend 9pm news there, and of course, WUTV in Buffalo does not have a 10 o'clock news, only advertising the news on their sister station.

Much more to do with the fact that Raycom owns both stations.

Exactly! And the distance between Montgomery and Dothan isn't incredibly far. Belo's KTVK produces and anchors the 9pm for KMSB, about 115 miles away from Phoenix, and it works out well.

Will there be reporter(s) based in Dothan?

WJHG also has cable coverage in Southeastern Alabama, but i still find it strange since i don't know how well they're going to be able to cover the area (their newscasts very rarely talk about Dothan and the area)

Here in Des Moines, KDSM the Fox affiliate has their news produced by KGAN (the Cedar Rapids CBS affiliate). There is a 127 mile difference between the two cities. There are a few staff in Des Moines but most everything is out of Cedar Rapids. Both stations are owned by Sinclair by the way.

Archived