Rant: How CBS 3 Should Move Ahead

Jess

I was planning this for some time, but I did not want to post it until a decision was made as to Alycia Lane's future. Now that they've made it, here goes.

The termination of Alycia Lane suddenly leaves KYW with two massive, gaping holes in its news lineup. The 4pm anchor slot - vacant since Marc Howard left - and now the 6pm/11pm slot. It's not a decision they can make lightly, because KYW has been on a serious roll the last few years with the Mendte/Lane team.

Yet people forget - KYW might be doing pretty good, but that doesn't mean they're doing all that great. There's room for improvement, especially at 4 and 6 (yes, they're tied with or beating 10, but 6 is getting better ratings than both of them COMBINED). Any decision has to be made with not only staying competitive at 11, but improving the afternoon newscasts.

My pick for the 11pm anchor team is Larry Mendte and Susan Barnett. Even after she was removed from the morning team, her stock's clearly rising at 3, and she did a very good job coanchoring with Larry at 4 today (It very much seemed like an audition to me). She's a pretty face but she also has some hard news chops. She's up for a renewal, and I'd bet money there's a new plum anchor slot in there.

Note that I specifically said "11pm", though. That's right - I think they should pull a Chuck and Sue. The 4pm team should be Susan Barnett and Angela Russell. Two females at four, to go with the explicit focus on a female audience. It'd be a first for the market - I don't think there's been a female-female team, but it's worked in other markets (New York). It also gives Barnett a slot for herself because...

6pm should be Larry Mendte solo. I have been saying this for years. Mendte has such an "Alpha male" personality that he works best as a solo anchor. He can carry a newscast by himself - I personally PREFER it when he's doing it solo, because the newscasts seem a bit more... dynamic. I also know that he grates on a few people, so it's probably best to only have him solo the 6.

I think this is the most realistic path for 3 to take. I don't think they're going to poach from another station and get, say, Renee from 10 or Dawn from 29. Colleran seems to be more intent on building from within or going from out of market for new talent. If they don't do that exact lineup (Barnett and Mendte at 6 and 11, for example), then I'd look for Chris May to factor into it somehow.

So... thoughts?

Hulkie, you make a lot of sense, as always with this plan of action. However, I don't personally see Susan Barnett as an 11pm anchor in this market. She's meant for lighter newscasts like a 4pm or midday newscast.

I really believe Mendte's going to be going solo for the foreseeable future at 6 and 11.

Hulkie, you make a lot of sense, as always with this plan of action. However, I don't personally see Susan Barnett as an 11pm anchor in this market. She's meant for lighter newscasts like a 4pm or midday newscast.

I really believe Mendte's going to be going solo for the foreseeable future at 6 and 11.

Holy shit the Fat Man makes an appearance!

Aside from that, Susan's got too much of a glazed over personality to actually be taken seriously for news.

If they go for the Larry Mendte Show, it's going to get old quickly. I don't think he alone can draw an audience like Gardner can and on top of that he has a very tabloidy delivery which, like Hulkie said, can grate on people's nerves pretty quickly.

Mendte's a very polarizing guy. I personally like him solo, but I'm not the majority of the viewing public, so I don't know how that will go over.

Don't get me wrong - I think there would be better fits for the co-anchor slot. It's just that the better fits are at other stations. As much as I'd like to see the first married anchor team in the market, or a reunion of the team that led 10 to the promised land, I just don't see that happening. Since Michael Colleran took over, they've been more inclined to either groom in-house talent or go out of market. The signing of Doug Kammerer was pretty much the only big swipe they've done since he took over.

I wanted to make a pick that was consistent with how the station has operated. Barnett is consistent with that.

Holy shit the Fat Man makes an appearance!

Aside from that, Susan's got too much of a glazed over personality to actually be taken seriously for news.

If they go for the Larry Mendte Show, it's going to get old quickly. I don't think he alone can draw an audience like Gardner can and on top of that he has a very tabloidy delivery which, like Hulkie said, can grate on people's nerves pretty quickly.

I agree, I don't think he can do it and people will stick around for just him. I know he would think they would but it won't happen. He needs a co-anchor.

4 pm, I think they will put Chris May in. Susan and Angela could certainly do it and I think that's a good idea but they seem to really be using Chris May.

I think Barnett could do the evening news, I always liked her in the morning and she has been doing very good on the 4pm, she anchored alot during the holidays.

I think either Susan or Pat would do with Larry at 6 and 11. Pat would do well because she's been there so long. What about Angela Russell? I haven't seen her in a while. She's probably on vacation. Anyway, I was thinking Chris May could replace Marc Howard at 4 and Susan/Pat at 6 and 11.

I think either Susan or Pat would do with Larry at 6 and 11. Pat would do well because she's been there so long. What about Angela Russell? I haven't seen her in a while. She's probably on vacation. Anyway, I was thinking Chris May could replace Marc Howard at 4 and Susan/Pat at 6 and 11.

Angela's about to pop out a kid so she's def out as a possibility for now.

• 2 weeks later...

So I caught some of 3's 4pm news today. It's basically the Larry Mendte Tryouts, because that seems to be where they're pairing him with coanchors. Today was the first time I've seen him anchoring together with Pat Ciarocchi.

I know I picked Susan Barnett, but after seeing them together on the 4pm I think they absolutely need to look into Larry and Pat. To be quite honest I don't think I've EVER seen Larry be this loose and relaxed with a coanchor. They seem like they get along very well, and the banter today was loose and unforced. Pat, for her part, is doing her usual solid job of anchoring.

I didn't think it'd work, but if today is any indication, this might just be the best bet if KYW stays in-house.

I dunno but I think Pat's on the record saying that she was ok working one shift a day.

I think I have heard that too.

Also he's so loose because he can't intimidate her either. She probably wouldn't put up with his ego. She is very good and I think a good match.

Sweeps should be interesting, no lead in from CBS because of the strike and Larry if by himself you will not see the ratings that have been seeing. He needs a cohost. He probably doesn't think so.

I think I have heard that too.

Also he's so loose because he can't intimidate her either. She probably wouldn't put up with his ego. She is very good and I think a good match.

Sweeps should be interesting, no lead in from CBS because of the strike and Larry if by himself you will not see the ratings that have been seeing. He needs a cohost. He probably doesn't think so.

Cohost? This isn't 6 where they call their newscasts "shows" now.

Seriously though I think Pat would be the perfect fit if she's willing to take the extra shift and working later in the day (she has been doing some nightside feature reporting lately so nothing's really impossible).

Cohost? This isn't 6 where they call their newscasts "shows" now.

Seriously though I think Pat would be the perfect fit if she's willing to take the extra shift and working later in the day (she has been doing some nightside feature reporting lately so nothing's really impossible).

Oh forgive me...

Co-anchor

Or co-reader.......

Archived