John Drury has died

312newswannabe

It's all over ABC 7 website and CBS 2. All of us at TVNT want to send our hearts, prayers and condolences to the Drury family and the extended family at ABC 7 Chicago (WLS). The Chicagoland area is mourning the loss of an ICON, and he will sadly and deeply missed.

It's all over ABC 7 website and CBS 2. All of us at TVNT want to send our hearts, prayers and condolences to the Drury family and the extended family at ABC 7 Chicago (WLS). The Chicagoland area is mourning the loss of an ICON, and he will sadly and deeply missed.

sad stuff, he will be missed. Too many good ones are dying.

John was one of the best anchors here in Chicago, and will be missed.

I uploaded a video of Joel Daley talking about John Drury's death and some vintage WLS promos on YouTube. I had to cut out in between one of the promos to make sure the video isn't past 500MPG.

Rest in Peace Mr. Drury. I was just checking in wikipedia about him yesterday. A great loss for Chicago. As Diann said last night: "My favorite song by John(Drury) in the studio was "Sweet Dreams Baby". Well tonight the same to you my friend." - Diann Burns

There was some nice sentiment in Diann's piece on Drury, but what really struck me was how self-serving it was. She managed to make it all about her - you woulda thought she was the one who died. Every shot of Drury at the anchor desk included you know who. Couldn't she find any with Mary Ann Childers who, btw, was his co-anchor for 12 years - 4 longer than her? And what was the point of that clip of her talking to Janet Davies and, big surprise, poking fun at Jerry Taft? What does that have to do with John? And who cares about her wedding pics?

I'm not saying she shouldn't have reflected on John's passing - quite the contrary. But there's a tactful way to do so - like the way Mary Ann Childers handled it in Mike Flannery's piece. No surprise there.

Archived