Ridiculous Radar Names

Guest cfif

topic title says it all...

- WAPT's "Storm Shield 16"....what, is it gonna actually deflect storms and shield the area?

- WTSP's "Forecast First Double Doppler"....I hate their stupid "Forecast First" name and that goes with it.

And does WCBS still have "Doppler 2 Million"?

This really isn't too "rediculous" But WHBF (and I'm sure all the rest of Citadel stations) use "Exclusive Storm Prediction: Live Radar" Or simply ESP: Live.

I also hate how stations make false claims of LIVE radar. All 3 (nbc, abc, and cbs) stations here in the Davenport market claim they have live radar, yet, only 1 really does (WQAD [abc] )

Remember WFTS' Local Action Doppler?

OK, so local. What about regional, or national? Who's taking action for me in those parts, hmmmm? And the only action I have even seen on a doppler is the sweep and the cell movement. Oooh, radically different!

topic title says it all...

- WAPT's "Storm Shield 16"....what, is it gonna actually deflect storms and shield the area?

- WTSP's "Forecast First Double Doppler"....I hate their stupid "Forecast First" name and that goes with it.

And does WCBS still have "Doppler 2 Million"?

No, WCBS dropped that name long time ago, they changed to "Live Doppler"

• 1 month later...

Remember WFTS' Local Action Doppler?

OK, so local. What about regional, or national? Who's taking action for me in those parts, hmmmm? And the only action I have even seen on a doppler is the sweep and the cell movement. Oooh, radically different!

Well just about anything WFTS has done since trying this "ABC Action News" thing is stupid. It's no wonder why WFLA is #1 overall and WTVT is #1 in the key 25-54 demo...

The truth is that the reason why FLA is tops is because they are appealing to an older audience. Facts are- TVT is much better than FLA.

There has been much written about the personnel at FLA. I will not repeat it. In addition to that, technically, the news from TVT is much more interesting, more gfx, more appealing. FLA had an opportunity to advance into the 90's when they went HD. They did not. Their set is about as much an hd set as I am a 2d person. There new news commercial is technically much more appealing than their show.

FLA can call their radar anything they want. Bottom line, they all do about the same thing. One model may be several nano-seconds faster. Big shit. It all comes down to the computers processing speeds, the location of the radar, and the weather AND geographical knowledge of the "talent" reading it.

And then WTVD's First Alert Doppler XP (Extreme Power, Extreme Precision!).

Oooh...does it have a blue / silver / green color scheme?

Black, white, and yellow!

firstalertdopplerextremepower200.jpg

I'll see your "First Alert Doppler XP" and raise you a "Live MEGA Doppler HD"

brand_alt_ktrk_1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm amazed nobody's come after our "Storm Predator 5" :)

Seriously, we are looking for a new name for our weather when we go back up with news.

KWCH is using "Storm Team"

KAKE is "First Alert Weather from the KAKEland Weatherplex"

KSNW is "WeatherLab"

Suggestions?

I keep telling y'all this...but some day KABC is going to take the Rudy Giuliani approach and develop the slogan "ABC7....We can kick the competition's Ass!"

A reference to Mayor Giuliani's NYC slogan, one that was promoted on the The Late Show with David Letterman in 1995 "We can kick your city's ass!"

Speaking of KTRK....I wonder....where's KPRC in Houston

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Surprisingly all the stations here - with one exception - have switched to normal names. NBC 10 doesn't name their radar (they use "First Alert Weather Radar"). KYW switched from MegaDoppler 3 to StormScan 3 a few months back. WTXF has been using Ultimate Doppler. Which brings us to WPVI.

STORM TRACKER 6 DOUBLE SCAN LIVE.

It's the only station on the east coast to have double scan - so it can work horizontally and vertically? I don't get it and probably never will - mostly because the damn thing is used during clear days.

What about WNBC's Doppler 4000? The name wasn't much, but the infamous promo (overly-dramatic music from Edd Kalehoff, and equally-dramatic VO from Don LaFontaine) helped sell it. However, ever since the move to the content center in 2008, it disappeared. It's still there physically (on top of the GE Building), but they don't seem to use it anymore. Why?

Surprisingly all the stations here - with one exception - have switched to normal names. NBC 10 doesn't name their radar (they use "First Alert Weather Radar"). KYW switched from MegaDoppler 3 to StormScan 3 a few months back. WTXF has been using Ultimate Doppler. Which brings us to WPVI.

STORM TRACKER 6 DOUBLE SCAN LIVE.

It's the only station on the east coast to have double scan - so it can work horizontally and vertically? I don't get it and probably never will - mostly because the damn thing is used during clear days.

If it's a dual polarization radar, yeah. It sends waves horizontally and vertically. Helps to pick up precipitation types better.

Haha, I'm glad I live here where all the stations just call it "Doppler Radar" :D (KENS is the only one here with their own radar; KSAT and KABB use NWS data out of New Braunfels and WOAI has access to four NWS radars in the area [brownsville, New Braunfels, Corpus Christi and I *believe* Midland], they used to promote it on the air as "4X4 Doppler" but no longer do so).

But how about overall branding? WOAI has this dumb gimmick called the "4-Zone Forecast" where they split the viewing area into four "zones" and then provide a complete weather forecast for each "zone". Every other station only provides one forecast and not four,

. And this is partly why WOAI is in last place.

Well, Atlanta doesn't really have any radar names you could call ridiculous (now, at least). WXIA, however, used to have "Power Plus 1 MILLION Doppler Radar", but that was (fortunately) canned with Gannettization in 2008.

Archived