Sam Champion leaves Eyewitness News

IceManNYR

He really needs to officially come out of the closet, though everyone pretty much knows he's gay.

Just out of curiosity, in what way does the reveal of his sexual orientation relevant to his job? Who cares if he is or isn't. It's his personal business, i really don't think it's any of our business.

He really needs to officially come out of the closet, though everyone pretty much knows he's gay.

You obviously must wanna go out with him if you really want him out of the closet. I mean christ what is with you people and other people's sexuality. It's really none of your damned business.

You obviously must wanna go out with him if you really want him out of the closet. I mean christ what is with you people and other people's sexuality. It's really none of your damned business.

I agree 100%. What happens on air is separate from what happens off the air. Obviously people are entitled to have some privacy. >:(

Does anyone have any captures of his final broadcast? I was wondering what Diana Williams or Sade Baderwinwa were saying, or if the whole Eyewitness News Team came into the studio to give him a farewell, or something of that sort, similar to what they did with Roz Abrams.

-Vlad

Does anyone have any captures of his final broadcast? I was wondering what Diana Williams or Sade Baderwinwa were saying, or if the whole Eyewitness News Team came into the studio to give him a farewell, or something of that sort, similar to what they did with Roz Abrams.

-Vlad

Speaking of Roz Abrams, I still wonder where she is going to end up?

Sam Champion on Nightline now...

Actually..Sam Champion is on Good Morning America doing the weather.

He seems to be good at what he does

Sam does weather for Good Morning America in addition to reporting on weather-related stories for other ABC News programs, such as Nightline and World News. He has appeared on Nightline in the past week covering the winter storm moving through the nation and has reported on the recent wildfires in the west for World News with Charles Gibson. His official title is ABC News Weather Editor.

-Vlad

Diana and Sade informed viewers of his last day on Eyewitness News and said thank you to him on-air. There was no special tribute video partly because of Sam's request not make a big deal about it on-air, as he was afraid of choking up (as he slightly did when Diana and Sade were speaking about him). Also, this was just the final step in phasing him off of the local news. Remember, he's not going too far. You'll just have to wake up earlier to see him on Channel 7.

On Friday's morning news, however, Steve, Lori and Bill talked about it briefly and Bill brought the life-size cardboard cutout of Sam on set and jokingly said, "THIS is Sam's last appearance." They talked about his 20 years of service to the station and joked about the infamous "He is Sam Champion..." promo/Queen parody.

Archived