The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did see that WLUK in Green Bay posted on their facebook page that they're launching HD on April 23rd.

Now that WHP has flipped the switch, WPMI could be next...or the widescreen incarnation of WPTY/WLMT.....we'll have to wait and see....

WPTY/WLMT looking like this coming week but could get pushed back. They are NOT getting a new set though - just a refresh. Anchor desk was taken out with several flat screens added to the back wall which otherwise doesn't change. New green screen went up on other side of studio to handle the widescreen. Not expecting it to be particularly impressive, though will be at least marginally better than what they previously had.

Very very evident Newport just refuses to spend money on them, though I can't blame them.

Well, WHP did make the switch last night to HD. The Devlin set is a very nice step up for them. Better than WHTM, but I think not as good as WGAL. What I like about the new set is the 6 50" flatscreens put together (3 across by 2 up and down). The weather center seems a bit small, but the ultra-slim screen's make up for it.

However, no new graphics were debuted. Still using the package they had. It does look nice in HD, but I still think they need a new package.

Small steps.

-- Matt

Well, WHP did make the switch last night to HD. The Devlin set is a very nice step up for them. Better than WHTM, but I think not as good as WGAL. What I like about the new set is the 6 50" flatscreens put together (3 across by 2 up and down). The weather center seems a bit small, but the ultra-slim screen's make up for it.

However, no new graphics were debuted. Still using the package they had. It does look nice in HD, but I still think they need a new package.

Small steps.

-- Matt

They added some pictures of CBS 21 HD news set on the website.

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/story/A-behind-the-scenes-look-at-the-new-CBS-21-News/ayME1gFBJkqdoGiICNRo3w.cspx?rss=50

According to TVSpy, Lafayette, Louisiana ABC affiliate KATC made the switch to HD beginning with Monday night's 5 p.m. newscast; AR&D collaborated with KATC on the design of the new set (who actually constructed it was not disclosed). The station also got new graphics and its logo was also altered slightly to a "circle 3" instead of a "square 3".

Per WALA's Facebook page, Fox10 in Mobile/Pensacola will launch HD newscasts this Saturday, April 21st at 9PM.

No word yet on WPMI, but it'll probably be later next week before May sweeps starts when they go HD as well.

WPMI is said to be launching the next day, according to Mobile TV Examiner...

http://www.examiner.com/tv-in-mobile/wala-tv-and-wpmi-tv-to-begin-producing-newscasts-high-definition-this-weekend-1

We'll have to wait and see...

According to TVSpy, Lafayette, Louisiana ABC affiliate KATC made the switch to HD beginning with Monday night's 5 p.m. newscast; AR&D collaborated with KATC on the design of the new set (who actually constructed it was not disclosed). The station also got new graphics and its logo was also altered slightly to a "circle 3" instead of a "square 3".

Here's a tour of their new set: http://www.katc.com/news/katc-now-broadcasting-in-hd-with-new-set-and-graphics/#!prettyPhoto/0/

It's nothing short of incredible for a market of that size! My only (small) gripe: the anchors now stand behind the desk.

Especially when Peter Mansbridge has to do so.

Also, KSTU is going HD, and is finally getting a non-cramped set for once. It also looks like they're getting the "newer" O&O look too. God why did they even keep the serif 13.

Looks to me that they got the FX Group / Tribune treatment, set-wise (similar to WTIC and WXIN). No comment on the graphics.

Based on what i've seen thus far with WALA's launch, it's pretty meh, even compared to their old look.

Their bug and lower thirds are too small, and their new graphics look totally different than their new set (I'm thinking they were done in house).

The set has a blue and gold feel to it with images of Mobile and Pensacola in the background, while the new graphics are primarily blue and white with the circle look (seen in my previous post).

The opens are plain using 3d renders of the logo and 3D text bumpers....no more quick shots like the old VDO open used for the past 9 or so years.

And to top it off, they're STILL using Right Here Right Now(with the same cuts) with Greg O'Neill doing VO!

We'll see what WPMI has up their sleeve when they launch...

Based on what i've seen thus far with WALA's launch, it's pretty meh, even compared to their old look.

Their bug and lower thirds are too small, and their new graphics look totally different than their new set (I'm thinking they were done in house).

The set has a blue and gold feel to it with images of Mobile and Pensacola in the background, while the new graphics are primarily blue and white with the circle look (seen in my previous post).

The opens are plain using 3d renders of the logo and 3D text bumpers....no more quick shots like the old VDO open used for the past 9 or so years.

Watching the first few minutes of tonight's newscast online, the graphics appear to be a Giant Octopus job (similar to KXAN in design).

The finished set looks very nice overall, though I doubt many people will miss the working newsroom as a backdrop.

And to top it off, they're STILL using Right Here Right Now(with the same cuts) with Greg O'Neill doing VO!

We'll see what WPMI has up their sleeve when they launch...

I really wish they would've picked up one of the newer music packages, but what can you do?

While I have nothing against Greg O'Neill, they didn't need to have him say "Television" after "in High Definition".

WPMI launched tonight at 10pm. Worlds better than WALA in HD. The new set looks phenomenonal and the graphics are far and away better than anything that's been used in Mobile/Pensacola in a long time. They almost have a Fox-like look to them, and are unlike any other Newport has used on their stations. (Ironic since the new font that WALA is using is very similar to the one that NBC uses.....and that WALA used to be NBC and WPMI used to be FOX)

They are still using some of the cuts of Gari's NBC Collection, but they have switched up some, added some they've never used, and now use the "NBC-News Now" theme for their main open. They also kept their voiceover person.

It's just good to see some new looks in this market that has been subjected to too many corporate-fed looks (like Sinclair's WEAR and Media General's WKRG) and just the fact that a station can keep things as is for so long, like WALA.

Green Bay area folks-----tonight at 5!!!

Here's a look at their new set; which features an interesting use of color changing lights in the weather center.

[yt]Ch5kdtRd6Lo[/yt]

The set did indeed meet my expectations. The severe weather lights on the desk are clever [you Milwaukee folks may find it similar to "the flame"]. The music [what package?] was a big improvement [didn't like "Viral" to begin with]. The graphics were OK---the Helvetica font is a little drab, and the intro leaves a little to be desired.

Bismarck , North Dakota NBC affiliate KFYR is now broadcasting its local newscasts in HD, as reported by TVSpy.

Side note: does anyone know if KOKH here in Oklahoma City is preparing to upgrade its newscasts to HD? Since last week, the Sinclair-owned station has started to run promos for its morning and 9 p.m. newscasts in 16:9 widescreen, the morning news promos are shot on the "Studio B" set they primarily use during the 7-10 a.m. portion of the newscast. KOKH and its duopoly partner CW affiliate KOCB upgraded their master control equipment to allow syndicated programs and commercials to air in HD back in early March (though promotions for syndicated programs, and Fox and CW network shows are still shown in SD for some reason). Even though news promos are aired in 16:9, the newscasts themselves are still broadcast in 4:3 SD though.

Archived