The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make that 4... WSET started HD news yesterday. They, along with KATV and 33/40 are all using the same graphics package.

It seems like WCIV in Charleston is going HD later this fall. I hope they get a new set because theirs is the worst in Charlestown.

All these Abritton stations going HD is driving me crazy ... Yet ABC27 has done nothing to go HD yet. For it to be a success, they need to blow up the logo, get a new set, fire Al (the non-funny tacky traffic guy), bring Chuck back on weather, Rick as anchor, and boost their OTA signal. I live about 12 miles from the tower and I can't get it.

IMO, abc27 is the worst station in the group.

-- Matt

WGGB- TV in Springfield, MA officially went HD today at noon. Looks similar to the graphics used at WAVY-TV with minor changes.

WGGB-TV went HD officially today at noon.

I can see the similarity to WAVY's graphics (more so the "unreleased" Renderon stuff) but it's really nothing like it... but you're lucky, you don't want to see a 5-year-old graphics package on your station's HD debut!

KAIT in Jonesboro, AR announced HD news yesterday, hoping to launch by November, they will be in temporary sets until then starting Today.

http://www.kait8.com/story/15483759/kait-news-is-getting-ready-for-hd

Unconfirmed at this time but reportedly both WBBJ in Jackson, TN and WAAY in Huntsville, AL are building HD sets with possible HD news launches in the same time frame as well.

Adding to the already lots of HD news movement in the Mid-South area the last several weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

As of 12:00 Noon today, abc27 WHTM is in the newsroom and they have confirmed via their fb (http://www.facebook.com/abc27news) that they are going HD ... Set deconstruction in process. As I posted a few days ago, anchors already getting HD makeup lessons. This will mark the 3rd tv news station in the HLLY market to go HD in less than a year. After 27 goes HD, only 21 will remain at 4:3, and they have said they have no interest going HD at this time ... I wonder with this development if they will change their minds.

Some interesting notes about the set ... Very small space. So unless they gut walls out or something, this will be very interesting to see how they pull this out.

Very exciting times in the Susquehanna Valley. I will keep you all up to date. Comment as you see fit.

-- Matt

Word is Cordillera Communications' stations in Corpus Christi, Texas (NBC affiliate KRIS and CBS affiliate KZTV) are now carrying HD newscasts and brand new sets have been built for both stations. Other than network programming, the two stations had already been broadcasting syndicated programming in HD.

Not sure if this was posted already, but Young Broadcasting's CBS affiliate KELO in Sioux Falls, South Dakota will be going HD in the coming days. The station has already finished its new set and is having its anchors do off-air dry runs in preparation, and the station is going to be getting a brand-new graphics package.

Archived