The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest NewsHound
WKRG went HD starting with their 6pm show.

Cameras and graphics (including weather) are in HD

Field footage is mostly in widescreen SD with some SD sidebars on existing video.

I hope MG is making a round of HD launches. I would like to see WJBF go HD one of these days.

I found this morning that KOTV in Tulsa is now broadcasting in widescreen 16x9. The only thing I cant determine is if it is 480p ED or 1080i HD. They announced that HD syndicated programs would also be broadcast in "widescreen" but were very careful to never refer to HD in the report on their noon news.

Edit: I see someone else beat me to it. Isn't it just the way it goes that Griffin gives their hometown station HD and sticks Tulsa with ED? At least KOTV has the HD-equipped helicopter-but for how long?

From WAFF's Twitter:

WAFF 48 News goes HD tomorrow morning! Tune in tomorrow morning to see the difference.

Raycom seems to be making a good push with its stations

WAFF indeed switched over this morning, and an interesting switch as it happened in the middle of coverage of tornado warnings during the overnight hours. Its the same blue/gold package that has gone out to other Raycom stations recently.

KLKN in Lincoln is going HD tomorrow:

http://bit.ly/a3DrK8

They're the second station in Citadel's group to switch (WOI Des Moines went a few months ago) - and the second station in Lincoln behind KOLN/KGIN.

Useless HD trivia: Harrisburg-Lancaster-York, PA (DMA# 39) is the largest market with no stations producing news in HD. The smallest market with station(s) producing HD news: Casper-Riverton, WY (DMA# 195) (KTWO).

WAFF indeed switched over this morning, and an interesting switch as it happened in the middle of coverage of tornado warnings during the overnight hours. Its the same blue/gold package that has gone out to other Raycom stations recently.

Too bad they didn't switch over the summer...

[yt]EzNhaLUT520[/yt]

KWTV in Oklahoma City is in HD. Sister station KOTV in Tulsa is in 16x9 SD. Each have new logos and a new branding.

KWTV: http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=13379520

KOTV: http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=13381356

I've also found out that the KOTV-produced newscasts on KQCW-19, the CW sister station of KOTV, are in 16x9 SD.

Proud to say that I seen a promo for News 8 WGAL ... in widescreen ... Coming soon ...

I think it's gonna be 16x9 but we will take it.

But damn time ;)

-- Matt

I think I heard that too. Pretty Awesome!!

Hopefully WHP, WHTM, and WPMT will go the same direction with their newscast one of these days.

A quick update on the WGAL 16x9 widescreen progress ...

On the WGAL FB page, a person asked when they will go 16x9 ... and they replied that the engineers are working on it and all indications point to it by the end of the year.

They also said that they need to go 16x9 widescreen, before going HD, which will happen in the long run.

Bring it on News 8 :ack:

Archived