The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...otherwise known as 16:9 standard definition.

Marketing semantics.

Actually, it's not standard definition. Standard definition is 480i and 4:3. Enhanced definition is 480p and 16:9.

WDJT is "showing off" an HD crawler with today's Amber Alert.

Also, new-ish graphics currently being displayed in SD letterbox.

Could WDJT go HD before WISN?

No... HD graphics generator isn't a huge step towards full, live HD production.

Plus, it's WDJT.

WDJT is "showing off" an HD crawler with today's Amber Alert.

Also, new-ish graphics currently being displayed in SD letterbox.

Could WDJT go HD before WISN?

That crawl (along with the bugs on the newscasts and legal ID logos) are generated in Master Control from the Lidia system. They've had this for a while but just recently started using it for crawls (around when The Early Show went HD). Weather alerts have also recently been updated to HD, but I don't have a screenshot of that yet.

They've also recently upgraded Master Control to allow for taping and playback of syndicated programming and

in HD.

At the same time, WISN has had all these capabilities for a while now, and still don't seem to be any closer to HD.

You seem rather fixated on WDJT and know a lot about the behind the scenes stuff.

Do you work for them?

No. I just watch them way too closely, hoping they mess up.

Awesome_I_see_what_you_did_there.gif

I'm watching you, CBS58...

Well, 13 WHAM has announced that they are in fact going HD. They announced it via their website and also through a local newspaper article (in the Democrat and Chronicle).

Here are the links to the articles:

http://www.13wham.com/content/blogs/story/Hi-Def-Local-News-Is-Coming-to-13WHAM/b5lrIp2xDE2gG7hDXdWHBg.cspx

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20107110347

If I am not mistaken, WHAM will become the first affiliate station in Western NY to go HD (Cable channel YNN in Buffalo went HD earlier this year).

The closest any affiliate in either Buffalo, Rochester, or Syracuse has been to HD is when WGRZ adapted the standardized gannett package and started broadcasting in 16:9 Standard Definition.

I have to admit, I'm pretty stoked :p

WDJT just posted this on their Facebook, It's quite clearly 16:9 (look at the label bar thing and compare it to the 4:3 graphics on their website). I'm guessing they just had to switch the weather computers to HD so they could have a HD alert bar...

33421_463315192984_80960937984_6208382_4791489_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

KOIN is now HD.

It looks like a lot of their field footage and live shots are HD which is nice (and different from other stations in town). Their set has once again been tweaked but it's nothing spectacular. Just a new weather center and an addition to the newsdesk backdrop. The set has had the same type of dark look for years and I wish they would do a totally new set. Their graphics are also still the same lame boring ones. lol.

"New" set:

koinset.jpg

Archived