The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

On the heading image on WITN 7's Facebook Wall.

268221_10151687314944742_765157557_n.jpg

My favorite Facebook comment of the day...on WITN's page:

"Does that mean it will fill the screen like channel 12 does?"

And that is what people think high-def is, just a full screen. I love old people.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind, Almost six months ago, WITN's master controls were moved to the new building. So they've been there for a minute. They just now producing their newscast from the Greenville facilities.

Not sure if this is directed at me, but Master Control and Production Control are on entirely different systems. Master Control is on Harris ADC, which has been in use for months at the new facility. However, Production Control just moved to the new building, and they are using Ross OverDrive for the first time. They're making the typical "we're new to coding our shows" mistakes. Overall, though, it's looking pretty smooth.

That is the plainest new facility I've ever seen. Is it all just on one floor too?

Edit: hmmm yep! sure enough it is. i'm checking out their facebook page now. It still seems incredibly small and cramped. And a carpeted studio floor? Wow. This whole place is just so underwhelming to me, but I'm sure for that market it's nice, no?

Interesting that they're using Charlie Van Dyke now, considering WNCT used him for several years not long ago, and WNCT-FM (unrelated to ch. 9) currently uses him for their imagery.

Damn, CVD is getting a lot of work lately. KFSN 30 recently replaced longtime VO Ed O'Brien for Van Dyke (He's now the VO of half the ABC group, along with WABC, WPVI & KABC). And he's the new voice of WATN.

Of course, I have no problems with that. Its best to hear a familiar voice, in lieu of those young 'Johnny-come-lately' Joe Schmo voice-overs who just tell them to just read this.

• 4 weeks later...

Chalk up yet another first for Alaska's #1 station: Apparently sometime over the spring, KTUU quietly (and without any promotion whatsoever) started doing their news in HD; Sony XDCAM HD cameras might have replaced the Betacam SXs they've been using for years and their satellite/ENG trucks upgraded.

Rumor mill... could WVEC finally begin HD news? New studio cameras were installed recently...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151689033653630&set=a.68546253629.68831.54711713629&type=1&relevant_count=1

As of this month the station is beginning to transition its branding to "13News Now" (à la WUSA's former brand)

Rumor mill... could WVEC finally begin HD news? New studio cameras were installed recently...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151689033653630&set=a.68546253629.68831.54711713629&type=1&relevant_count=1

As of this month the station is beginning to transition its branding to "13News Now" (à la WUSA's former brand)

More to add to the Belo rumor mill...could WCNC be close to HD news themselves? Many of their recent news promos have been in HD.

When I hit the wvec.com site today (on my iPad), there was an iPad/iPhone app "WVEC 13 News HD" option at the top of the screen...

J

• 1 month later...

It looks like KOKH in Oklahoma City may have now gone HD. The changeover occurred on Wednesday (August 14). However, the station is still in the "working newsroom" set that the newscasts have been done from since the news department launched in 1996, the station's "Studio B" set that has been around since 2006 also has been left unchanged; IOW, it is the only pre-M&A madness station owned/managed by Sinclair that switched to HD without a Devlin set.

Some bumper graphics aren't in native widescreen but stretched such as the opening for "Good Day Oklahoma" (the 9 a.m. hour of the morning newscast). This apparently leaves WICD as the only Sinclair station owned by the company prior to 2010 with no HD newscasts. Telemundo affiliate KTUZ is also now the only news-producing station in Oklahoma City whose newscasts are not in HD or at least widescreen SD.

• 1 month later...

And one of the last Gray TV stations, WITN 7 has implemented its HD broadcast today. The station streams its news online.

Only WYMT is the only station that's not broadcasting widescreen news (either ED or HD). WJHG, WBKO & Charlottesville Cluster are broadcasting in widescreen ED (no HD).

According to WYMT's facebook/twitter pages, they will be going HD in a month or two.

TVNewsCheck posted that the last LIN station is now in HD. They stated that KHON 2 started HD ops and debuted their brand new look. From the station's FB wall, they implemented the new HD look last week.

And you'll never believe what was slightly customized to give that "Hawaiian" feel. Just look at their new opening vid from their FB wall. Beautiful I tell you.

TVNewsCheck posted that the second-to-last LIN station is now in HD. They stated that KHON 2 started HD ops and debuted their brand new look. From the station's FB wall, they implemented the new HD look last week.

And you'll never believe what was slightly customized to give that "Hawaiian" feel. Just look at their new opening vid from their FB wall. Beautiful I tell you.

Only Lafayette's WLFI is LIN's sole non-HD station.

Actually, WLFI went HD last year.

Archived