The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

The set did indeed meet my expectations. The severe weather lights on the desk are clever [you Milwaukee folks may find it similar to "the flame"]. The music [what package?] was a big improvement [didn't like "Viral" to begin with]. The graphics were OK---the Helvetica font is a little drab, and the intro leaves a little to be desired.

Watched a few videos on their website the other day. WLUK's graphics are basically the old GO package Gannett used at some of their stations before dumping them for their current Pyburn ones.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTOK in Meridian, Mississippi is now in HD...making Meridian an all HD market! (since WTOK is the only station producing news anymore ;) )

http://www.youtube.c...=endscreen&NR=1

They do a piece on their transition to HD in this video...at the :50 mark, they show a shot of one of their studio cameras. At first, I thought those were the old SD cameras, but after looking at their facebook page, they are indeed their new HD studio cameras.

Anymore, it seems like stations are getting smaller and smaller with their studio cameras (look above in Chief-O's WLUK picture). That's one of those little Grass Valley cameras that come with the Ignite system and they're about the size of an XL-1. The JVC-GY series are about that size as well. I can only wonder how WTOK (let alone Gray) could get their hands on such cameras. They've got to be really used, or really, really REALLY old!

A station that size buying those things new is pretty much unheard of these days.

Anymore, it seems like stations are getting smaller and smaller with their studio cameras (look above in Chief-O's WLUK picture). That's one of those little Grass Valley cameras that come with the Ignite system and they're about the size of an XL-1. The JVC-GY series are about that size as well. I can only wonder how WTOK (let alone Gray) could get their hands on such cameras. They've got to be really used, or really, really REALLY old!

Their cameras are hand-me-downs from WNDU.

http://www.ikegami.c...ss/press02.html

These cameras were state of the art.....in 1999.

Back when WNDU was owned by Notre Dame they could easily afford stuff like this. With Gray buying WNDU.....now it makes sense!

The cameras WTOK had before were about equally as large -- BTS LDK 900's -- All Former-Benedek Broadcasting Stations had them. WITN and WTVY are 2 stations that I know still use them -- and since they're antiques, BTS doesn't exist anymore, and no parts are made for them, their picture quality is rapidly deteriorating.

WTOK in Meridian, Mississippi is now in HD...making Meridian an all HD market! (since WTOK is the only station producing news anymore ;) )

http://www.youtube.c...=endscreen&NR=1

They do a piece on their transition to HD in this video...at the :50 mark, they show a shot of one of their studio cameras. At first, I thought those were the old SD cameras, but after looking at their facebook page, they are indeed their new HD studio cameras.

Seems WTOK is using something familiar to my ears here in LA....the music in the open is the morning open cut to the new series of Eyewitness News that KABC commissioned along with thier new GFX package...sounds cool to hear that! The GFX look pretty good, too.

Anymore, it seems like stations are getting smaller and smaller with their studio cameras (look above in Chief-O's WLUK picture). That's one of those little Grass Valley cameras that come with the Ignite system and they're about the size of an XL-1.

They look like they'd be a little bigger--probably the size of a conventional ENG camera [but a much different shape]. They're not the smallest by any means---this is what WBAY is using in studio:

http://panasonic.com/business/provideo/AW-HE870.asp

• 2 weeks later...

While this isn't technically local news, it seems like Charlie Rose's WNET/PBS talk show is now in HD.

Except for the new graphics and the fact that 16:9 video and remotes are, well, in 16:9, you'll barely notice the difference. That's because he didn't need to get a new set ... because he's barely got a set to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...

WTVY in Dothan is now in HD.

http://www.wtvy.com/alabamanews/headlines/Going_HD_157062025.html

It looks like they took the standard issue Gray route with automation and robotic cameras.

Meanwhile, down in Panama City, WMBB is completely overhauling their set from the ground up. They're already in SD widescreen....could they be going HD?

WMBB is just getting a new set, from what I've heard. They just upgraded their control room for 16x9 last year (got a new-to-them switcher and other miscellaneous items). They're also updating their studio lighting to LED (they used cool-colored fluorescents that didn't carry over well on camera with their old set color scheme).

'TVY had been working on the HD Upgrade for a long time, glad they pulled it off. I watched one of their shows and it went off without a hitch.

WTHI in Terre Haute is planning on going HD when they move in to their new building according to this post.

Also you can watch construction of the $7 million building here:

http://www.wthitv.com/subindex/weather/towercams

The new building is a block and half from the current building which is constructed in 1906 as a Simplicity Sewing Factory, and converted to a Television Station in 1954 when Tony Hulman (owner of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway) started WTHI.

• 2 weeks later...

WDAM in Hattiesburg, Mississippi confirmed they will be going HD sometime this summer. Anchor/News Director Randy Swan confirmed this in the following video.

http://www.wdam.com/video?clipId=7387446&autostart=true

Like sister station WLOX in Biloxi, they are turning one of their SD subchannels into a second affilate for a network that did not exist in the market already...in WDAM's case, they are launching an ABC affiliate with a new 6:30 newscast...just like WLOX did with their new CBS subchannel in Biloxi.

• 4 weeks later...

Question: is a newscast considered in HD when the studio shots are SD 4:3, but the open, fullscreen graphics shots from the field, and feeds from other stations "live on tape" are in widescreen and appear to be HD?

Usually it's the other way around (HD/WS studio and SD field/tape)...

Thoughts?

J

Question: is a newscast considered in HD when the studio shots are SD 4:3, but the open, fullscreen graphics shots from the field, and feeds from other stations "live on tape" are in widescreen and appear to be HD?

Usually it's the other way around (HD/WS studio and SD field/tape)...

Thoughts?

J

I don't think a newscast would be classified as being in HD (or advertised that way by the station for that manner) if aired in the way you described, though it is possible for a station to air certain segments in HD, even if the remainder of the newscast is not. KFOR here in Oklahoma City carried their long-running "Is This a Great State or What?" feature pieces during its evening newscasts in HD for about a year before the newscasts themselves made the switch in June 2009. I heard that KSNW/Wichita also airs their weather forecast segments in HD, even though they broadcast the rest of their newscasts in widescreen standard definition.

I appears that KTVE/10 El Dorado, AR (NBC) and KARD/14 Monroe, LA (Fox) have gone SD widescreen. graphics are similar to KARK in Little Rock, but no mention of HD anywhere, plus the images look soft. Just got a dump from a friend and these look good, but nowhere as sharp as KNOE/8 in the studio.

J

WRCB in Chattanooga, Tennessee will be going full HD this fall....

http://www.wrcbtv.co...news-in-full-hd

Also, WCHS in Charleston, West Virginia will round out the Charleston-Huntington market by going HD as well.

This link shows the demolition of their longtime set, as well as some of their pre-HD construction....

http://wchs-wvah.tumblr.com/

• 3 weeks later...

WCBD in Charleston, SC went HD over the weekend, rounding out the Charleston market.

WJTV in Jackson, MS went HD several months ago....and WAPT in Jackson is about to round out the Jackson Market by going HD as well.

Perhaps it's time to start a new thread....stations STILL broadcasting in SD! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that WVVA in Bluefield, WV may have gone HD (or at least WS), based on web-site video and WVVA HD be plastered on the, as well as a new font for their calls. Now if they'd just bring back the "6". (I have a disaffinity for stations that don't use channel numbers!)

Of course WOAY went from Analog 4 to digital 50, but uses 50 (usually stations prefer the other way around, I'd think - in which case WVNS could go from CBS 59 to CBS 8...)

Once I make it down there, we'll definitely know.

J

WROC-TV, Channel 8, in Rochester, NY has just announced that they will be going HD, according to their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/News8WROC

The Nexstar CBS affiliate is the second tv news station in Rochester to go HD. The first was ABC affiliate WHAM back in September of 2010.

I have to say that I didn't quite expect them to announce this first, although a lot of Nexstar stations have been making the move as of late. I more expected WHEC, Channel 10, to announce this since they have been giving hints of a makeover and possible HD makeover.

This video posted on one of the station's anchor/reporter facebook pages shows that they've already dismantled the set. They also say it will take a few weeks. (

)

Looking forward to see how extensive the makeover is... in my opinion, their set is the worst of the affiliates in Rochester (besides WUHF which is produced by WROC anyway). This is really needed for them. It will definitely shake things up a bit. Maybe 13 will quit harping on the fact that they're "now in high definition" like what is said in the voice over of each show open (even though they went HD almost 2 years ago).

Here is a fairly up-to-date example of what their current set (or at least the set they had before they went to a temp. set) looks like:

Archived