The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

After 27 goes HD, only 21 will remain at 4:3, and they have said they have no interest going HD at this time

ROFL...WHP never fails to disappoint. Still a rinky-dink CBS station and apparently have no interest in changing. Surprising they even broadcast in color with that attitude.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHP is a constant disappointment. They spent most of their money on anchor Rob H. and don't get me started on their weather man/anchor Kirk Clytt. His ego is soooo evident. I even call him Captain Kirk. It's funny. Here is one report he did where he was doing a report on rodeo monkeys. It was so bad.

http://www.whptv.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=2809723

I have a feeling that WHP will never change. I can see them maybe going 16x9 SD, but they have always been last here, and they will remain that.

-- Matt

Guest NewsHound

WJBF-TV NewsChannel 6 (ABC) in Augusta, GA launched High Definition newscasts from their new studios this morning. Videos to be uploaded later.

KAIT-TV in Jonesboro, AR and WATE-TV in Knoxville, TN have officially gone HD as of today.

http://www.kait8.com...&clipId=6357768

http://www.wate.com/...&clipId=6358215

KAIT's new HD look is basically a hybrid of the old and new Raycom graphics. WATE's new look comes with a new logo along with the standardized Young set and graphics from FX Group and GO respectfully (at least they kept their old color scheme somewhat).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CFCN-TV (CTV) Calgary began broadcasting their news (studio segments & graphics only) in high definition, in conjunction with the launch of their new morning show. They are the 3rd CTV O&O, and the 2nd in the market to produce their news in a high definition format.

Meanwhile, CICT-TV (Global) Calgary was already doing their studio segments in HD since Nov 2010. However, new HD ENG cameras were brought in for summer 2011, so all their field stories are now in HD (first in the market). Their remote broadcast vehicles, and their helicopter are also transmitting their signals back to the station in 16x9 SD format.

CBRT (CBC) Calgary and CKAL-TV (Citytv) Calgary are still broadcasting all their local programs in 16x9 SD.

• 3 weeks later...
For those wondering about WBAY's switch to HD---tomorrow's the day. Cami Rapson has posted a slightly-cryptic message to her Facebook page, and a comment on the station's page mentions tomorrow's noon show as the debut [why not the 5pm???]. [ETA: Steve Beylon's FB post]

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I can get their signal to come in tomorrow. Then again, rain wont help...

WGME (Sinclair, CBS) in the Portland, Maine market began airing their newscasts in HD yesterday evening with the 11:00 PM show. Tweaked graphics and a new set also debuted - both look identical to other Sinclair HD news operations. They are the second station in the market to go HD, as WCSH (Gannett, NBC) began in October. As far as I know, WMTW (H-A, ABC) has not mentioned any plans about switching.

• 2 weeks later...

ABC 22 WKEF/ FOX 45 WRGT (Sinclair) in Dayton have bought the former WBDT studios in South Dayton and will renovate the building and begin broadcasting HD newscasts by summer of 2012. General Manager Dean Ditmer said this will be the largest investment in the history of the stations and will shake up the Dayton media market. He calls this a "counter-punch" to WHIO's (Cox, CBS) multi-million dollar studio and building renovation. http://www.bizjourna...lidate-get.html

• 2 weeks later...

WWLP in Springfield, MA went HD today. Graphics are similar to KSPR in Springfield, MO. L3's look horrible with the font they have. but other then that about time the markets #1 station goes HD.

I saw WWLP tonight and it looks like they're still shooting in SD 16x9. Cameras were really soft, and field video was pretty blotchy on their HD 22.1 feed. Graphics themselves looked like they were in HD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WIVB in Buffalo switched to HD today starting with the 5pm broadcast. Apparently they are running things automated out of LIN's master control hub in Indy because they're working out some kinks:

https://twitter.com/...838400287965184

They also tweaked their longtime Circle 4 logo to a more glossy, 3D style (example on the website)

EDIT: Here's the open/GFX montage. Looks like a RenderOn job. Not sure who built the set, but an interesting change (for the Buffalo market) is that the anchors stand during newscasts, similar to WBTV, WCSC, etc.

WIVB in Buffalo switched to HD today starting with the 5pm broadcast. Apparently they are running things automated out of LIN's master control hub in Indy because they're working out some kinks:

They also tweaked their longtime Circle 4 logo to a more glossy, 3D style (example on the website)

EDIT: Here's the open/GFX montage. Looks like a RenderOn job. Not sure who built the set, but an interesting change (for the Buffalo market) is that the anchors stand during newscasts, similar to WBTV, WCSC, etc.

I remember WIVB always looking cheap and crappy (even after WGRZ got the Gannett trainwreck amazing look), this is about 1000x better.

Looks like an FX Job.

Looks like an FX Job.

Very true, except what I would call the "New School" FX, which I have come to really love! I might also add that "360" by 360 Music makes for a great combo with the new set and graphics. Graphics look either to be Renderon or GO.

Archived