The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that would be a shock. WPRI seems very close, and I was told that they would be there "within a year."

WPRI does HD programming overlays (ex. breaking news/severe weather tickers), HD promos, HD IDs, and has done a few HD specials, including some live ones. All of their gubernatorial debates this year are in 16:9.

I haven't seen a single thing in HD from WJAR yet.

I'm watching the noon news on WTVR. They're now in HD. New news set, new graphics (goodbye, red and white!) and new music (the "News In Focus" cuts; "Virginia This Morning" [9am show] used a morning cut since a couple years ago). Their website is still red, maybe they'll change it soon.

I wonder if they will still use "Enforcer NG2" for their 7pm newscast, "Virginia Tonight".

Wow, that would be a shock. WPRI seems very close, and I was told that they would be there "within a year."

WPRI does HD programming overlays (ex. breaking news/severe weather tickers), HD promos, HD IDs, and has done a few HD specials, including some live ones. All of their gubernatorial debates this year are in 16:9.

I haven't seen a single thing in HD from WJAR yet.

WJAR has an HD switcher but because of MG's money woes that's why they haven't done anything in HD.

They upgraded there control room to a state of the art one and it's HD ready.

I'm watching the noon news on WTVR. They're now in HD. New news set' date=' new graphics (goodbye, red and white!) and new music (the "News In Focus" cuts; "Virginia This Morning" [9am show'] used a morning cut since a couple years ago). Their website is still red, maybe they'll change it soon.

I wonder if they will still use "Enforcer NG2" for their 7pm newscast, "Virginia Tonight".

Yay! Finally. But it makes me wonder which Local TV stations are still in SD. I know WDAF still is...any others?

WPRI does HD programming overlays (ex. breaking news/severe weather tickers), ... HD IDs...

The tickers (if they're JUST tickers with no maps) can likely be attributed to a Lidia system. CBS helps the stations get these, so it's typically not a sign of HD news coming soon...(see: WDJT)

• 2 weeks later...

KOLD, the CBS affiliate in Tucson, AZ, launched local news in HD as of this morning with little hype. Just a short mention of going HD at the very end of the morning newscast and a blurb from the weather guy at 6 p.m. It makes them the second station in Tucson (after KVOA, whose newscasts have been in HD for nearly 3½ years).

New logo and graphics. Same music pretty much (just different cuts of Enforcer). Some info here.

KOLD, the CBS affiliate in Tucson, AZ, launched local news in HD as of this morning with little hype. Just a short mention of going HD at the very end of the morning newscast and a blurb from the weather guy at 6 p.m. It makes them the second station in Tucson (after KVOA, whose newscasts have been in HD for nearly 3½ years).

New logo and graphics. Same music pretty much (just different cuts of Enforcer). Some info here.

Beat me to it :bang: They've been broadcasting from a temp set for a couple weeks. Looks like a pretty nice set from the little video I saw. Unfortunately I moved this weekend, so will have to wait a bit for video, but here's the new logo:

13070226_BG1.JPG.9a88564fd58bdfa6ff131716fb493f26.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I know I posted this earlier in the summer... but it was never added to the HD list, so I figured I would say it again.

WHAM-TV in Rochester, NY is debuting in HD on Monday, September 13. They fully redesigned their set, have new graphics all around, updated logo, and many other updates.

Here is an article on their website about it with a few pictures of the completed set:

http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story/13WHAM-Goes-HD/kwXwOn_yNUCMl4bjbXZbXA.cspx

KTHV in Little Rock, AR announced HD News Today, with "this fall" mentioned as expected transition time.

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=116851&catid=2

Not to be outdone, just 24 hours after the KTHV announcement, on yesterday KARK/KARZ also announced that they are in the "final phase" of transitioning their operations to HD.

http://arkansasmatters.com/news-fulltext/?nxd_id=349355

• 4 weeks later...

WDAF Fox 4 in Kansas City is going HD tomorrow (10/12/10) - the Kansas City Star has an interesting article:

http://bit.ly/c5c4fT

Also, KKTV in Colorado Springs is apparently in HD. I posted a new video of their open at:

http://bit.ly/9p9XOf

So now 3 of 4 stations in Colorado Springs are HD - not bad for market 92!

Archived