The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like WWL-TV in NOLA might be getting close to going HD - either that, or they just decided to tweak the graphics a bit - but the logo bug is smaller, and the L3s have lost the "swirly" element at the bottom. Also the occasional crawl used during casts looks like it's being stretched, and they've had promo items in HD (or at least widescreen) for a while now.

Noticed the changes this past weekend, no idea when they went into effect (I was out of town for most of last week, and things hadn't changed when I left Tuesday), still using pillarboxes as of this morning.

KUSI will be going HD next week. They will also be doing everything in 16:9. Also the SD channel will now be letterbox as they wont be using 4:3 safe filming techniques.

Well, this morning WWL-TV had dropped the pillarboxes...and I'm going to say they are at least widescreen. Dunno if it was just my TV, but it wasn't a crisp HD and I'll leave it at that.

Things still don't look quite right - text on the scroll no longer looks stretched, but graphical elements and the clock are. Also, weather graphics aren't in HD.

WIAT is officially in HD as of April 9, 2010

Yeah, they did and interestingly now their non-news and off-network programming on-air bug now has "HD" in it. Whereas during the newscasts itself they don't have an actual bug with "HD" in it rather an oscillating graphic that shifts from their normal logo to one with the CBS eye icon along side with the "42" to just "42 HD NEWS". It's weird when they could have just changed the on-air bug during the newscasts as they did when they changed the non-news on-air bug.

Also WBRC has stop using the "FOX Owned & Operated" theme for their newscasts and also stop using their translucent non-network on-air bug that has been in use since 2006 although their logo itself hasn't changed at all. I guess Raycom decided to tell them to stop using it since Newscorp were the ones that created the logo and the on-air bug for the station

KUSI is now in HD as of its 6pm newscast.

In-show graphics look much better now that they've dumped all that Eurostile. Not a huge fan of them leaving the lower-third up for the entire VO/package, but it's sadly a growing trend these days. Do news managers think we're really stupid enough to require that we be reminded of the story we're watching at all times?

Are they 16:9 HD in the field as well?

In-show graphics look much better now that they've dumped all that Eurostile. Not a huge fan of them leaving the lower-third up for the entire VO/package, but it's sadly a growing trend these days. Do news managers think we're really stupid enough to require that we be reminded of the story we're watching at all times?

Are they 16:9 HD in the field as well?

They do have HD field cameras, but the live shots are 16:9. Supposedly they are going to do true HD from the field soon. The packages are shown in HD (if that makes sense). Still waiting for that new set. The L3's need some work, but i'm very impressed with the graphics, the opens are very short and they just use 2 cuts of music now.

As of May 6, WKBN, WYTV and WYFX-LP of Youngstown, Ohio broadcast in HD. These three stations, by the way, are owned (WKBN, WYFX) and operated (WYTV) by New Vision. Sorry I can't provide caps, and there's really no mention on their websites, other than this article from March.http://www.wytv.com/content/news/local/story/Most-Local-TV-Newscasts-to-See-Major-Changes/TtHJeg6lmEC8Vg0tXtD4MQ.cspx

Archived