The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

Re: This just in First Coast news and Action News jax are Going HD

This might be the first time all "big 4" affiliate's local newscasts go HD on the same day.

Well, it sounds as if the co-ordination wasn't that hard are the NBC and ABC affiliates are owned by one company (Gannett) and the CBS and Fox affiliates are owned by Newport, the company that bought Clear Channel's TV stations. I wonder if this means they'll be switching KOKI in Tulsa to HD anytime soon (like in the new decade.)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: This just in First Coast news and Action News jax are Going HD

NBC Affiliate WTLV TV-12 and ABC affiliate WJXX TV-25 Are Going HD Monday at 5

Also at the same time CBS Affiliate WTEV TV-47 and FOX Affilate WAWS TV-30 are going HD on the same day

Source: http://jacksonville.com/business/2010-01-27/story/jacksonville_newscasts_going_hd

The "Action News" duo of WTEV and WAWS went HD today at 6:30pm.

Source with pics: http://flnewscenter.com/?p=1541

• 3 weeks later...
Is Ross really that bad of a system?

Not really - I've actually heard some positive things about it - but any automation has its bugs.

Plus, instead of pushing buttons and leavers, I'd be using a touch screen, with things already pre-determined. There's a learning curve I'm not looking forward to.

KUSI (IND) is getting ready for HD news. Most of the equipment has been purchased and is ready to be installed. They'll use the current set for HD but will move in to a new set later this year. They're shooting for this spring but could be delayed. New graphics will be deployed and they hope to do 720p footage from their field cameras.

KUSI (IND) is getting ready for HD news. Most of the equipment has been purchased and is ready to be installed. They'll use the current set for HD but will move in to a new set later this year. They're shooting for this spring but could be delayed. New graphics will be deployed and they hope to do 720p footage from their field cameras.

Do they really want to actually show that piece of crap desk in HD? You can see all the knicks and scratches on it in standard def, imagine what it would look like in HD. Let's hope that they actually follow through this time.

Do they really want to actually show that piece of crap desk in HD? You can see all the knicks and scratches on it in standard def' date=' imagine what it would look like in HD. Let's hope that they actually follow through this time.[/quote']

I'm actually more concerned about seeing John Coleman in HD. Yikes.

• 2 weeks later...

A follow-up on WREG's transition to full HD: According to George Brown (the station's web manager and reporter) in a recent chat on their website, they're looking at a mid-April launch for HD newscasts that includes an update to their newsroom set, new equipment, etc.

http://talkto3.chatango.com/ (will have to scroll back a few pages, but it's there)

A follow-up on WREG's transition to full HD: According to George Brown (the station's web manager and reporter) in a recent chat on their website, they're looking at a mid-April launch for HD newscasts that includes an update to their newsroom set, new equipment, etc.

http://talkto3.chatango.com/ (will have to scroll back a few pages, but it's there)

Even though they're running behind their original schedule (which was supposed to be the early part of the year), its good to see they are making sure everything is right before they go on-air with it. From what I understand, they'll be truly 100% HD, including all field shots, as well as various commercials, promos, and their syndicated programming.

WMC, on the other hand, is approaching the 2-year HD mark and is just now slowly getting out some promos and local commercials in HD, and airing Oprah and Wheel of Fortune as such, though their other syndicated and HD-available programming for some strange reason is not.

KYTV aka KY3 (NBC) and KSPR (ABC) in Springfield, MO are in HD. After seeing some opens on YouTube, and saw no actual proof, I sent an email to President and General Manager of KYTV, Michael Scott this morning and here what he said.

Ryan,

It is true that our newscasts are now in HD. This is true on both KY3 and KSPR.

Enjoy.

Michael A. Scott

President/General Manager

KY3, Inc.

999 W. Sunshine

Springfield, MO 65807

Phone: (417) 268-3000

Fax: (417) 268-3360

Here are several opens from KY3.

Ozarks Today:

5:00:

6:00:

10:00:

• 3 weeks later...

4's HD Local News Coming In Late April -

3/30 - More Channel 4/WRC news. Look for the debut of high-def local newscasts on 4 during the last week of April. "Rehearsals are now underway with the new set and control room, they are expected to be ready to go by then," we hear. The switch would make Channel 4 the last of DC's major local TV news operations to go HD.....

http://www.dcrtv.com

• 2 weeks later...
WRIC is running their syndicated programs (Oprah' date=' Wheel, Jeopardy, CSI repeats on weekends, etc.) in HD. No word on newscasts.[/quote']

Running syndicated programming in HD and producing local programming in HD require different equipment, and since WRIC is on the cheap, I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

Archived