The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KDKA is supposed to launch HD on 6/15. I can't wait to see what a Faux-Eurostile catastrophe this will be.

Where did you get this date from, if you don't mind me asking?

WTOV is reportedly doing news in HD, studio and some recorded only (gfx in SD).

Wow! First, WJAC doing news in 16:9 SD (they are in the process of installing HD cameras) and now WTOV in HD. I'm surprised that it wasn't the other way around, being that WJAC is in a bigger market than WTOV. Anyway, Cox Broadcasting is going in the right direction!

As for KDKA going HD, I just hope they don't delay the date again. Let's cross our fingers and hope they follow through with the June 15 date. I can't wait to see some new graphics!

I'm surprised that it wasn't the other way around, being that WJAC is in a bigger market than WTOV.

Hasn't WTOV always had a better product than WJAC?

I'd love to see the return of "Hometown Advantage" on KD but I doubt it'll happen... will probably be an update of the current look, if not a widescreen version of the current stuff.

Post-Gazette. Newspapers: Reporting stuff since the 1600s.

Sorry... my parents cancelled their subscription to the PG a few months back.

And I have a feeling KD's HD launch is going to be disappointing.

Hasn't WTOV always had a better product than WJAC?

I'm not sure because I have never really seen WTOV's newscasts. Only one or two clips on YouTube. WJAC isn't bad for a small market though.

As for KDKA, I really hope they don't just have a widescreen version of the current graphics. That would look terrible. I would really like it if they got the same graphics that KYW has that were designed by Hothaus.

Last week on KATU's viewers voice segment the anchor was talking about how a viewer had wrote in to say that they had noticed that KATU's talent looked skinnier on air. The anchor said that was because they had installed HD cameras.

I didn't noticed a difference and can't believe someone else did...but whatever. They may have installed the cameras but none of no content of KATU news is broadcast in HD yet.

In just a couple of weeks FOX's largest O & O without HD News will finally go HD. WFXT in Boston. I can almost promise you that. Though improving their content won't probably happen.

KSTP should go HD by 6.14.09. They're getting a new set and will have a tapeless workflow thanks to new Panasonic P2 field cameras. Maybe new graphics.

I'm not sure because I have never really seen WTOV's newscasts. Only one or two clips on YouTube. WJAC isn't bad for a small market though.

As for KDKA, I really hope they don't just have a widescreen version of the current graphics. That would look terrible. I would really like it if they got the same graphics that KYW has that were designed by Hothaus.

As far as I can tell, WTOV is still broadcasting in 16:9 SD. Even in SD, the quality of the picture is awesome-- always has been, compared to 7 which is muddy and dark.

I'm told to expect KDKA's graphics to be in-house. I'm disappointed that there won't be a KDKA version of the KYW graphics (I was thinking along the lines of KPHO) but I am hoping for the best. Their graphic designer has some talent but it always seems like management wants to go for less impact (in an effort not to scare the loyal viewers away.) I am hoping for a nice, clean font. I don't know what it is with KDKA and typefaces, but they've been making miserable choices since the days of the serpentine lowers.

I would love to see a return to the Hometown Advantage branding, since KDKA has abandoned Local News First. It's possible, since John Verrilli hated it and has now moved on, but we'll probably see them stick with Your Home.

I wanna muse about the music! They were rumored to be looking into Enforcer as a replacement when Verrilli was at the helm, but now that he's gone I don't know. Once again, original KDKA Prime would be a great choice, but unlikely. I am pretty sure that KD's contract with Soundbyte should be up or nearly up by now.

Here's hoping the extra time KD's had means they can pull this off smoothly. I have faith in them.

I'm told to expect KDKA's graphics to be in-house. I'm disappointed that there won't be a KDKA version of the KYW graphics (I was thinking along the lines of KPHO) but I am hoping for the best. Their graphic designer has some talent but it always seems like management wants to go for less impact (in an effort not to scare the loyal viewers away.) I am hoping for a nice, clean font. I don't know what it is with KDKA and typefaces, but they've been making miserable choices since the days of the serpentine lowers.

I would love to see a return to the Hometown Advantage branding, since KDKA has abandoned Local News First. It's possible, since John Verrilli hated it and has now moved on, but we'll probably see them stick with Your Home.

I wanna muse about the music! They were rumored to be looking into Enforcer as a replacement when Verrilli was at the helm, but now that he's gone I don't know. Once again, original KDKA Prime would be a great choice, but unlikely. I am pretty sure that KD's contract with Soundbyte should be up or nearly up by now.

Here's hoping the extra time KD's had means they can pull this off smoothly. I have faith in them.

Rob Owen reports in today's Post-Gazette that KDKA will have a revamped set when they go HD on June 15th.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09156/975060-238.stm

[url=http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09156/975060-238.stm][/url]

Archived