The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

I was also under the impression that KCBS, KLAS and KYW were also acquiring field video in high definition, using Sony XDCAM HD camcorders.

Don't know about KLAS, but you are correct about KCBS & KYW (as well as WBBM, WCBS, KTVT, KCNC, etc). CBS has contract to outfit their O&Os with XDCam equipment.

However, they - like 90% of stations doing HD news - are limited by the analog microwave equipment used to relay live shots and some field packages. Many markets are scheduled to transition to new digital equipment within the next few months, which will increase the number of stations providing studio and field reports in HD.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the HD news listing under Orlando

the entry for WFTV should read WFTV/WRDQ

WFTV produces Eyewitness News This Morning from 7 to 9 AM and Eyewitness News at 10 for WRDQ (their sister station) and it is in HD.

On the HD news listing under Orlando

the entry for WFTV should read WFTV/WRDQ

WFTV produces Eyewitness News This Morning from 7 to 9 AM and Eyewitness News at 10 for WRDQ (their sister station) and it is in HD.

Updated... thanks. I'm not always sure if all the newscasts on other stations produced by HD news stations are always in HD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tribune Co.'s Fox affiliate in Grand Rapids, WXMI becomes the first station in market 39 to do news in HD, as of today (4/20).

Apparently the money to do this was found by selling three of Sam Zell's old motorcycles that he had been using for parts...

/j/k

UPDATE: I have concluded that WJAC is not infact in 1080 HD, but rather in 16:9 SD upconverted to HD. There has been no mention to being in HD or nothing on their website. Also, the picture quality is not as sharp as it is on WPXI or WTAE, so for now, WJAC is in 16:9 SD.

I can...

Yeah, it seems as though KDKA's transition to HD has been anything but smooth. First, they were scheduled to make the switch back in February or March, and then it got pushed to May or June. I was just shocked when I saw WJAC in HD because it was all of the sudden. They didn't even say anything about being in HD in their first broadcast. They did, however, say several months ago when they introduced their new set that it was all part of their transition to HD.

I have concluded that WJAC isn't in HD, rather they are broadcasting in 16:9 SD upconverted to HD. They have not mentioned being in HD and on my guide, it says nothing about being in HD. Also, the picture quality on WJAC is not as sharp as it is on WPXI or WTAE.

You can add KCCI Des Moines to the list of stations doing news in standard definition 16:9: KCCI First To Have Widescreen News

I don't really understand how 16:9 SD is a "step" to HD, and no other Hearst-Argyle stations currently with newscasts in high definition have taken an intermediate step when they migrated from 4:3 SD to 16:9 HD.

If you're going to dive in, you might as well go into the deep end... otherwise, save yourself some money and stay on the deck.

EDIT: Reading through the Des Moines market posts over on AVS Forum and it also looks like WHO has started 16:9 SD newscasts as well.

WWBT will soon not be the only HD News option in Richmond. WTVR will be going HD early summer as told by me from the weekend anchor there.

BTW: It was a Raycom station but was sold to Local TV in a swap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived