The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

Ummm Ok. I know I said the new set and and gfx were supposed to debut on Feb. 26, but this past weekend I saw a promo for the debut on Feb. 23. However, it is Feb. 23 and nothing has changed! So I don't know what the hell is going on. Maybe it will be the 26th.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if this could include WYTV too...since they share facilities and news staff.

We can finally see the new graphics that WKBN's been teasing with their website.

the top headline on wytv.com is "Channel 27 gets a new set."

I mentioned it in the Local TV forum but KTVI and KPLR went HD when they moved into their new home in Maryland Heights February 15.

Does anyone have any screen grabs/video from KTVI or KPLR to show what their new look is? Thanks!

I guess WPLG left out KSWB from the list of fully-high definition news operations since you can't really call the crap they produce "news." But if you do, then they are another station besides WRAL that produces an entire newscast in high definition--field video and live shots included.

I was also under the impression that KCBS, KLAS and KYW were also acquiring field video in high definition, using Sony XDCAM HD camcorders.

But that technicality aside, the set is definitely... interesting. I find the complete lack of branding pretty weird, but maybe that was done with the whole WPLG-WTVJ joint operation in mind? Not branding the set is a missed opportunity, IMO.

But that technicality aside, the set is definitely... interesting. I find the complete lack of branding pretty weird, but maybe that was done with the whole WPLG-WTVJ joint operation in mind? Not branding the set is a missed opportunity, IMO.

You make a good point, where are all the WPLGs? the 10s, the ABCs? the hds? That might be a kick back to the proposed now defunct merger (I do not think so).

I can't imagine what it will be like in the new building, the old one was too small for its use some 20 years ago. - how they made it work that long is amazing.

btw, anyone else think the news desk is a super large fries from McDs?

• 2 weeks later...
What about WPXI? Aren't their live shots/field video in HD? I forget.

I am pretty sure that they are. Their live shots/field video is in widescreen, but it may be widescreen SD upconverted to HD. They are also probably one of the few stations that air syndicated programs such as Wheel of Fourtune and Jeopardy in HD. As opposed to KDKA which is horribe in airing HD programming. They don't air the CBS Evening News, Dr. Phil, or The Insider in HD. The only programs that they do air in HD are sporting events, CBS primetime, and Letterman.

Archived