The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

Add WGCL/Atlanta to the list. They also rebranded to "CBS Atlanta/CBS Atlanta News" and they have new graphics and music too. A swoosh sound plays every time the l3 appears on screen, which is very annoying.

The music is Gari's Enforcer package. I've always liked Enforcer and am happy that it's in our market now.

The graphics are nice - a definite improvement over what they had, although I don't agree with the change to CBS Atlanta and the logo is ugly.

And that swoosh is really annoying...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WSVN HD premiere:

New theme too, which sounds like it's loosely based upon the 2001 theme... obviously by Chris Crane.

Have they always done the chromakey wall that way? Pretty neat...

funny their commercial showed a GVG 4000, IIRC. It must be an old cut as I am not aware that the 4000 could do hd. Anyone know what they currently use and/or HDH?

According to Wikipedia, WTKR is scheduled to flip the HD switch on Wednesday at noon.

WTKR is scheduled to begin producing and airing its local newscasts in high definition on Wednesday, January 14, 2009, with the noon newscast, according to an internal source.

You're lagging behind, WVEC.

Very, very blue.

wtkr_set_refresh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that KDKA will go HD soon.

Here is a quote from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: "We expect to make the transition to HD in the next two or three months," said KDKA general manager Chris Pike. "The equipment has been purchased and is in house. We just need to complete the installation."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09023/943769-42.stm

Now lets hope KDKA gets better graphics when they make the transition to HD.

What's sad is the last line.

Local TV LLC "NewsChannel 3" WTKR (CBS) Norfolk is scheduled to launch high-definition newscasts tomorrow evening at 5 p.m. The station recently has made tweaks to its news set in preparation for the HD launch. WTKR will join LIN TV's WAVY (10/NBC) and "FOX43" WVBT to do HD news.

Belo Broadcasting's WVEC (13/ABC) was the first to do standard definition widescreen news broadcasts but have no near future plans to go HD.

What's sad is the last line.

I wouldn't get too down about that. They might be prepping for HD news quietly and don't want to make a big deal about it. I remember that KGTV told the San Diego Union-Tribune (in mid/late-August 2008) that they wouldn't launch HD news until late October 2008 and they soft launched a few days after that article came out.

WTKR launched HD news today at 5.

Open and stingers are the same, all the old VDO stuff is gone. Graphics are alright, the HD pillars are nice. Live shots are in 4:3 SD. The bug is kinda big, they followed suit with WAVY and added a big "HD" thing to the bottom right for HD viewers. Seems to fit more naturally here though...

And the weathr graphics are kinda formatted like WSVN! Cool!

That bug is huge, and considering its size, you can barely read the time and temp. The OTS's are small and they're using a virtual set for weather. I find the graphics to be half-assed.

I think their HD launch could have been handled much better.

That bug is huge, and considering its size, you can barely read the time and temp. The OTS's are small and they're using a virtual set for weather. I find the graphics to be half-assed.

I think their HD launch could have been handled much better.

Smaller OTS graphics are better than a huge one that takes up almost half the screen. Remember this?

wtkr_new_ots.jpg

However, they look "proportionally correct" in HD, but from what I can imagine on SD it probably looks weird... haven't seen it yet... As for the bug, the black bar needs to go, and I want to grab the 3 to make it stop spinning. Also the time/temp looks fine in HD but I'd think it's hard to see in SD.

And I don't think they've ditched the weather set. They modified it with the green lights the other week.

The OTS's look very weird in SD.

And you're right, that black bar needs to go, there's absolutely no purpose for it other than to annoy you. Is it just me, or is the picture dark?

The green lights you saw on the weather set were a reflection of their new green screen. They put it right next to the set, and I mean right next to it.

I wish I could get some caps, but I can't use WinTV anymore because it can't receive ATSC signals.

WTTG now is in HD. The third station in DC to make the switch along with WUSA and WJLA.

From http://www.dcrtv.com:

5 Launches HD Local News - 1/31 - DCRTV hears that Channel 5/WTTG launched its high-def local newscasts with the 6 PM Saturday show. "Everything appeared to go smoothly. The set and new HD weather graphics looked terrific. The is a slight video pop in and out of commerical breaks as the picture goes from SD to HD," we're told. Fox5 is the third major DC TVer to feature HD local newscasts. Channel 4/WRC has yet to offer them.....

WTMJ is mentioning a transition to HD on air. Rumor has it they could be in HD tonight.

EDIT: I should mention it was Scott Steele who mentioned it, saying

"This area is filled with people today, so cope with us as we transition to high definition"

KSAT 12 here in San Antonio apparently went HD February 5th...but nothing has changed. all they did was flip the switch, their graphics seem to have degraded and suck even more now, their still using the 1998 "The One and Only" Gari music, and their studio remains virtual, though looks like it could be temporary.

wow way to fail, KSAT.

Are all the Fox O&Os HD now?

As of now, the following Fox O&O stations are not in HD:

[st]WFLD Chicago[/st]

[st]WFXT Boston[/st]

[st]KDFW Dallas[/st]

[st]WAGA Atlanta[/st]

[st]KMSP Minneapolis/St Paul[/st]

[st]WTVT Tampa/St Petersburg[/st]

[st]KSAZ Phoenix[/st]

[st]WHBQ Memphis (though there are hints on their website that they will pretty soon)[/st]

KTBC Austin

I suspect that the number will drop over the next several days heading into March sweeps.

Archived