The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was bored earlier and found this on MilwaukeeHDTV.org

Unfortunately it seems the article has disappeared from the interwebs shortly after that post was made.

I highly doubt WDJT actually has money budgeted, and Journal Communications isn't exactly in a position to spend much money on HD equipment. But with Hearst's stations still switching over, I would definitely add WISN to the "rumor mill".

From WSBT's website, it features an article w/video reminiscing their moments at their soon-to-be old facilities in downtown SB. At the end of that video segment, they'd also announce that their first HD newscast will be late Sunday Night.

EDIT: Here's another article w/video of an inside tour of WSBT's new digs at the new Schurz Building in Mishawaka.

• 2 weeks later...
KPSP is now producing news in a 16x9 format... can anyone confirm if this is either HD or widescreen SD?

I'm pretty sure KPSP is in HD. I was reading a few articles a few weeks ago from when Desert Television was just building up KPSP to become Palm Springs' CBS station, and it said KPSP went ahead and made the plant HD-ready back in 2005 or whenever.

So ABC 7 Started their HD newscasts at Noon today. Very interesting package. They had problems with broadcasting in HD, with only half of their open working. They are not in HD yet, but the graphics say that they are. The graphics look like a simple update to their previous package. Hopefully it will be fixed by 5pm. They are now in black right now. Not a smooth transition at all. lol.

Now the second Half of the noon newscast, is actually in HD, however, there was no sound for about 10 minutes. When sound returned, it was an echo. There was no mention of the new HD newscast. I guess no one wanted to mention the mess that was going on.

Once everything was brought together, the new package is okay. It looks more like a HD update to their previous graphics. They are no longer using the former WABC Lower thirds. The OTS are pretty nice also. The weather graphics have nto changed, and the set has a slight modification, with a plasma television in front of the desk that says ABC 7 HD.

Hopefully ABC 7 News at 5 (In HD) will be much better.

I'm watching it now on my HDTV. On the SD feed its still showing the old logo and the audio is fine, while on the HD feed, the new logo is off to the side and cropped off on the right, their audio was garbled and in and out throughout most of the newscast. It's safe to say, they probably should have waited until 5:00 to premiere, cause it seems they have alot of kinks to get out. To be the second station in DC to go HD, you thought they would know what to do.

KHNL is heavily advertising a December 20 launch date. Whether that actually happens...

It's surprising that they'll most likely beat KGMB to launch Hawaii's first HD newscast considering that KGMB's new owner, a private equity company, has been pumping a considerable amount of capital into the station's newscasts and prepping for HD.

Archived