The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In general, the graphics are very nice. The open wasn't as impressive as I thought it'd be, and I'd like to see the animated big back. :)

As promised, here's the open, smooshed down a bit. The file is 27MB, so fair warning!

http://www.tvnewstalk.net/elsewhere/4Open-DV.mp4

I really, really like the subtle touches-- like the Pittsburgh skyline inside the ABC logo.

WTAE looks great in Hi Def! The graphics and new sound effects (like "Breaking News" or "Weather Watch 4") both look excellent and overall, a great move for Channel 4. I, too, like the fact that they are not going all HD crazy like some stations do in larger markets.

I'm disappointed, however, because my cable box broke, so I can't watch them on my HD set tonight, so I guess I will have to watch on my little TV from 2002. ;)

The Wichita Buisness Journal reports that KWCH CBS Wichita will be going HD in October.

Here is the article.

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/stories/2008/09/15/daily39.html?ana=from_rss

Wichita TV station KWCH announced Thursday it will begin broadcasting its newscasts in high definition in October.

Station Manager Joan Barrett says KWCH will be the only station in the state to broadcast in high def. And in order to accomplish the change, the station will have to re-engineer the KWCH studios.

The station says viewers will see a better picture, no matter what kind of TV set they have, high def or not.

“We recognize that high definition is the future, and we want to bring our viewers the best in audio and video along with the most trusted local news brand in the market,” Barrett says.

"With the DTV conversion, everyone will eventually be HD, some sooner than others," says Bryan Frye, KAKE TV spokesman. "There's a lot of groundwork yet to be laid. For instance, by the end of the year, KAKE will have full HD production capabilities to create, shoot and edit commercials in true high definition. At the same time, we're working every day on improving our HD facilities & equipment. "

WCSC, channel 5 in Charleston (CBS) will be in HD starting on September 29, as promos have begun airing for the HD news.

Promos are airing, and they will begin next Monday, with the graphics used probably the ones used by WMBF, WECT, and WMC.

WCSC, channel 5 in Charleston (CBS) will be in HD starting on September 29, as promos have begun airing for the HD news.

Promos are airing, and they will begin next Monday, with the graphics used probably the ones used by WMBF, WECT, and WMC.

I wonder how that will look with the bright red, since I can't imagine that color on WCSC...

Keep in mind that WWBT is using the same graphics package as WCSC and their news is in HD, so maybe they'll keep using that. The package must have been made for 16x9 or adapted for widescreen when WWBT launched HD news.

I wonder how that will look with the bright red, since I can't imagine that color on WCSC...

Keep in mind that WWBT is using the same graphics package as WCSC and their news is in HD, so maybe they'll keep using that. The package must have been made for 16x9 or adapted for widescreen when WWBT launched HD news.

That seems to be the case for the former Lincoln-owned stations.

BTW, the standardized Raycom HD look for WMC consisted of blue and yellow "pieces" against a black background as opposed to the red-and-blue look used at the other stations (WECT, WAFB, WFLX, and WMBF), so I thinks it's safe to say that you couldn't rule out a custom look in the case of those that haven't gone HD yet.

1366269202_wmc002_0001.jpg.1b15f4c2efb3cdcaa2842207470cb27d.jpg

250306574_wmc002_0002.jpg.f2c2bd8dc17e80924a8e0290a9cc8d8a.jpg

1559300081_wmc_1__0001.jpg.729ab5643d39168fd0402e9fffc0fb73.jpg

WCSC is now in HD, as they did a soft launch this Saturday night, 9/27. Their big launch will be tomorrow, 9/29, at 5am. They have a brand-new logo, but no open as of yet. They also have new weather maps, just to name a few.

Here is their new weather map for Super Doppler:

http://www.live5news.com/Global/category.asp?C=132991&nav=menu1431_2

On their website, if you play their first video, the new HD graphics are shown.

http://www.live5news.com/

Archived