The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

You can see pics of WGN HD in the Chicago News forum.

In other HD News, WBBH and WZVN this weekend have made the switch to High Definition from Widescreen SD. They have also updated their websites as well.

This is from WBBH: http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=20506&z=3

This is from WZVN: http://www.abc-7.com/articles/readnews.asp?articleid=20507&z=18

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm inquiring information about these stations for the list:

KTVZ... I've heard they might be doing HD?

KESQ... doing news in 16:9 SD but calling it as HD?

KONG... in SD?

WRDQ... in SD? (rogersimmons.com says WRDQ's WFTV-produced newscast is in 4:3 SD)

WAXN... in SD? (WAXN-DT only has an SD channel)

I need these to be confirmed. Thanks!

WAVY announced this morning that they will be going HD @ 5pm Today, Monday July 21st.

Hallelujah!!!! Finally, a LIN station will start their HD newscast today. I thought LIN would never get this far.

Kudos to WAVY-TV 10 for making that giant effort.

I'm inquiring information about these stations for the list:

KTVZ... I've heard they might be doing HD?

KESQ... doing news in 16:9 SD but calling it as HD?

KONG... in SD?

WRDQ... in SD? (rogersimmons.com says WRDQ's WFTV-produced newscast is in 4:3 SD)

WAXN... in SD? (WAXN-DT only has an SD channel)

I need these to be confirmed. Thanks!

According to KTVZ's site they are doing news in HD.

http://www.ktvz.com/Global/story.asp?S=6506281&nav=menu578_11

KESQ claims to be in HD. their logo has an HD next to it.

KING 5 on KONG has an HD Logo.

Well it looks like WAVY did a "soft open" for their HD newscasts when they started broadcasting in HD for their noon news today.... Despite saying they would start at 5pm today.

I guess they couldn't wait for Tonight's 5pm show to be the first in Hampton Roads and the first in that station group to go HD.

Looks like FX got a new customer. I'm assuming that WVBT will broadcast from the old WAVY studio now.

Now, WTKR needs something big like this to help in their efforts to "take back the Norfolk market."

EDIT: Just saw a promo for WVBT, and they're also going HD and it looks like they'll be using the same set from the promo.

The set looks a little on the cramped side IMO.

I also think the monitor panel reminds me of WAVY's late-1980s set, where they had the monitors in the background.

Now that you mentioned it, it does remind me of the set they had back in the late 80's. It almost looks like they got the idea from it.

I, too, find it cramped. The distance between the news desk and the weather stand is like a foot, and the design seems a little uninspired, like all the other FX sets. They use the same elements over and over. Looks like they just whipped something up on short notice.

It's about time WRTV go HD. I thought they would go HD when they got their new set of graphics. Oh, well. Better late than never, I guess. I wonder if they'll get HD weather graphics. I also wonder if SkyCam 6 will go HD.

According to a post by "CardassianVol" on the AVS Forum's Knoxville HDTV forum, WVLT-TV 8 in Knoxville is expected to air programming in high definition in the summer of 2009.

To see the post, go to http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13263025#post13263025

I am assuming that WVLT is expected to start airing local news in high definition along with all programs.

It's about time WRTV go HD. I thought they would go HD when they got their new set of graphics. Oh, well. Better late than never, I guess. I wonder if they'll get HD weather graphics. I also wonder if SkyCam 6 will go HD.

Channel 6 however will not be getting a new set according to Grace Trahan. She said they will be getting new lights, and adding a few things, but that's it.

Now that you mentioned it, it does remind me of the set they had back in the late 80's. It almost looks like they got the idea from it.

I thought the same thing, when I saw the glass wall with the map of Hampton Roads.

The set looks great in HD, however, very slick.

I was gone this week... didn't get to see WAVY's HD newscast until tonight, I haven't seen the new set tour yet.

First impressions: the set looks very nice, the old one actually seemed cramped to me, the desk was small. The graphics are alright, I would have expected to see a new graphics package but I guess this will do. However, the font on the lower thirds has been changed and I assume this is because they're using a different character generator. It's bugging the hell out of me. The "HD" thing on the bottom right (for those watching in HD) is an annoyance... maybe that's just a pet peeve of mine.

I wasn't blown away. I'll get to uploading some video in HD later tonight.

I was gone this week... didn't get to see WAVY's HD newscast until tonight, I haven't seen the new set tour yet.

First impressions: the set looks very nice, the old one actually seemed cramped to me, the desk was small. The graphics are alright, I would have expected to see a new graphics package but I guess this will do. However, the font on the lower thirds has been changed and I assume this is because they're using a different character generator. It's bugging the hell out of me. The "HD" thing on the bottom right (for those watching in HD) is an annoyance... maybe that's just a pet peeve of mine.

I wasn't blown away. I'll get to uploading some video in HD later tonight.

I didn't really care much for the font (too stretched), but I'm guessing that's just a holding action and that a new GFX set will arrive at a later date.

Archived