The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

Well, KNBC has been testing HD in the morning during the Today Show News Updates. They have new HD graphics, but they are not showing them anywhere else. But, they'll probably go HD before 8-8-08 for sure. Bob Long, their ND said that they'd be HD by June, but that went by, so the next deadline would probably be sometime upto 8-8-08.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WIPR, Channel 6 owned by the Goverment, is scheduled to start HD News and broadcasting in August. Their other station in Mayaguez serving the west coast of Puerto Rico is scheduled to start broadcasting in HD at years end. The upgrade to HD for both stations costed an approximated $28 million.

Also, WMBF in Myrtle Beach is adding HD for their newscasts on 8/8.

I'm not sure "adding" is the appropriate word for them. :awesome:

Especially when you consider that WMBF is a new jumpstart operation that hasn't even begun broadcasting yet.

WAVY's news is going HD soon. This was rumored the other day on the AVS Forum Norfolk HDTV thread and confirmed this evening in a promo.

The promo had a shot of the set (they must have been building it in the 43 studio), and it looks pretty sweet. I'll upload the promo soon.

WAVY's news is going HD soon. This was rumored the other day on the AVS Forum Norfolk HDTV thread and confirmed evening in a promo.

The promo had a shot of the set (they must have been building it in the 43 studio), and it looks pretty sweet. I'll upload the promo soon.

WTF? A LIN TV station finally putting effort to give one of their stations HD news?? OMG. I'm shocked as hell. I thought they would never give a station HD news because of their finally issues.

WTF? A LIN TV station finally putting effort to give one of their stations HD news?? OMG. I'm shocked as hell. I thought they would never give a station HD news because of their finally issues.

LIN seems to be one of those station groups that lets their stations do their own thing. I wouldn't expect to see all the other LIN stations start doing news in HD right away.

WALA-DT is finally on Comcast in Mobile...plus with the recent HD deals with Dish Network and DirecTV, perhaps LIN is finally giving in to the cable & satellite companies (or vice versa).

I bet WALA will be doing HD news by February or May of next year. With their all-digital facility, it's probably an easy transition.

My Dazzle's being a bitch, dropping many frames, so I don't want to try and upload right now. Here's some caps:

wavy_hd_set1.jpg

wavy_hd_set2.jpg

Looks like FX got a new customer. I'm assuming that WVBT will broadcast from the old WAVY studio now.

Now, WTKR needs something big like this to help in their efforts to "take back the Norfolk market."

EDIT: Just saw a promo for WVBT, and they're also going HD and it looks like they'll be using the same set from the promo.

I believe FOX43 WVBT will broadcast from the new WAVY set as well. They are going HD the same time WAVY is. They will just change out the graphic in the desk monitor. It would be VERY unlikely to have one of their broadcasts be HD and the other SD. Think about it.

I would assume that a new set of graphics might be on the way as well...

For who? WAVY? Sure I guess, but they don't need them. They are crisp and carry well on-air. Better than anything any other station in the market has.

For who? WAVY? Sure I guess, but they don't need them. They are crisp and carry well on-air. Better than anything any other station in the market has.
I have to disagree. The previous GO package was MUCH better. Now, in my opinion, the best in the area are WVBT's RenderOn graphics. They are RenderOn, aren't they?

Now, in my opinion, the best in the area are WVBT's RenderOn graphics. They are RenderOn, aren't they?

Yes. It's the same as WTNH's graphics package, the lower thirds are different then theirs. I've seen better work from Renderon though...

I do agree that WAVY's graphics carry well on-air. Though they're not in HD, they look very crisp and colorful on an HDTV. WVEC's picture is very dull and soft.

Archived