The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

I know WBAL has HD Doppler branding, when they're not in HD, so it might be the same scenario.

Same with WVEC, they call their doppler "High Definition Radar" but the doppler's not in HD at all, it's just higher resolution.

I just thought it was something because the graphics were updated and that kinda popped up unintentionally...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KENS 5 debuted their new graphics last night in preparation for their HD launch tomorrow. The graphics looks like it could be made by Giant Octopus. Also they changed their news theme to the updated version of Newsforce.

It's okay... looks like WINK mixed with the Media General package... another unoriginal package from GO.

Hey quick HD update in Orlando Fox 35 started today to broadcast either in HD or 16x9 Widescreen. This is either the 3rd HD station or 2nd 16x9 Widescreen station but either way all the stations here are either in HD or widescreen

Over at http://hinghamweather.com/bostontvnews/, an insider is reporting the following about WHDH:

“The newsplex revamp continues “behind the green screen”. The projection screen is in place up on the balcony, there are new lighted columns going in on either side of the screen, the balcony lightboxes have been downsized to accomodate the screen, the area above balcony will be changing colors and the new monitor wall is starting to take shape. You 7 fans will flip at this revamped newsplex, it’s going to look GORGEOUS in HD. As in typical 7 fashion, we’re using alot more red in the revamp.”

KENS 5 debuted their new graphics last night in preparation for their HD launch tomorrow. The graphics looks like it could be made by Giant Octopus. Also they changed their news theme to the updated version of Newsforce.

To be honest, KENS' HD Relaunch was quite a disappointment - seriously no new set, pathetic. there were minor tweaks to the set, the glass KENS5 Logos were removed, the set looking thing whatever it's called over a big screen next to the weather center was removed and replaced with monitors for traffic, i believe that is the new traffic center.

All of their opens are amazing, as well as their graphics...however their lowerthirds are hideous...and moving the logo back to the left side of the screen - pretty stupid, it now over laps the weather map time stamps as well as their traffic graphics.

many of their graphics are way out of Safety Area for SD Viewers.

there was no change in their set-up, nothing new at all...just fancy graphics and HD. nothing to it.

it was definitely rushed.

To be honest, KENS' HD Relaunch was quite a disappointment - seriously no new set, pathetic. there were minor tweaks to the set, the glass KENS5 Logos were removed, the set looking thing whatever it's called over a big screen next to the weather center was removed and replaced with monitors for traffic, i believe that is the new traffic center.

All of their opens are amazing, as well as their graphics...however their lowerthirds are hideous...and moving the logo back to the left side of the screen - pretty stupid, it now over laps the weather map time stamps as well as their traffic graphics.

many of their graphics are way out of Safety Area for SD Viewers.

there was no change in their set-up, nothing new at all...just fancy graphics and HD. nothing to it.

it was definitely rushed.

Yeah, when I saw this video from their Sunday Morning newscast, it looks like they can't really make up their minds where to place their time/temp & logo bug. First it was on the right side, then on the left. I think it was rushed too.

Also, the ending signature logo of the closing cut of Newsforce sounds almost similar to 615's WGN Sports Package (specifically the cuts used for the White Sox games).

Yeah, when I saw this video from their Sunday Morning newscast, it looks like they can't really make up their minds where to place their time/temp & logo bug. First it was on the right side, then on the left. I think it was rushed too.

Also, the ending signature logo of the closing cut of Newsforce sounds almost similar to 615's WGN Sports Package (specifically the cuts used for the White Sox games).

yeah. if they went HD simply for ratings, good luck.

I love KENS, but this isn't the way to go.

i know graphics/sets are little on ratings, but even so they haven't changed anything concerning their set up of receiving and sending out their news, as i mentioned earlier.

it also seems they've been having trouble playing the music when they sign off, it kinda fades out first, then fades back in, then fades out before hitting a commercial. this is true too when they sign off air, through out today, they only play like 3 seconds of their music, then their off air.

it tells you control room isn't use to their new HD Format yet, which makes it look unprofessional.

Is it me or does that set make one think you are sitting on the anchor's lap while watching? The table is shoved almost against the back wall - makes me think most hd sets I have viewed are more open. It just seemed a bit tight.

Is it me or does that set make one think you are sitting on the anchor's lap while watching? The table is shoved almost against the back wall - makes me think most hd sets I have viewed are more open. It just seemed a bit tight.

KENS'? not really...

Hey quick HD update in Orlando Fox 35 started today to broadcast either in HD or 16x9 Widescreen. This is either the 3rd HD station or 2nd 16x9 Widescreen station but either way all the stations here are either in HD or widescreen

So is WOFL producing their newscast in HD or ED (16:9 widescreen)? I can't find any references to it on their website or in Wikipedia.

WMC in Memphis will be launching HD News at 5 Tonight...

WMC-TV 5 to launch the Mid-South's first High Definition newscast

Updated: July 2, 2008 01:53 PM

Tonight at 5pm, WMC-TV 5 will launch the debut of the Mid-South's first newscast in High Definition.

WMC-TV 5 has long been the Mid-South's leading television station. Its rich history includes being the first television station to broadcast in the state of Tennessee, the first station in the Mid-South to report live via satellite, and the first to use a helicopter for news coverage.

Wednesday, that leadership has a new meaning with the launch of the area's first High Definition newscast. The high definition launch will be accompanied by a station-wide graphics and equipment overhaul, highlighted by brand new, state-of-the-art High Definition studio cameras.

Viewers will also notice a dramatic difference in Action News 5's weather technology. Action News 5's StormTrack Doppler 5, combined with the exclusive Vipir 5 Tornado Indicator (VTI), will give early warning of storms to viewers. Action News 5 will bring viewers information about approaching weather systems in the highest resolution of any station in the Mid-South, and will be able to warn viewers of danger with unrivalled accuracy.

Viewers without a High Definition television will still be able to watch Action News 5 newscasts as they normally do on any Standard Definition.

WMC in Memphis will be launching HD News at 5 Tonight...

WMC-TV 5 to launch the Mid-South's first High Definition newscast

Updated: July 2, 2008 01:53 PM

Tonight at 5pm, WMC-TV 5 will launch the debut of the Mid-South's first newscast in High Definition.

WMC-TV 5 has long been the Mid-South's leading television station. Its rich history includes being the first television station to broadcast in the state of Tennessee, the first station in the Mid-South to report live via satellite, and the first to use a helicopter for news coverage.

Wednesday, that leadership has a new meaning with the launch of the area's first High Definition newscast. The high definition launch will be accompanied by a station-wide graphics and equipment overhaul, highlighted by brand new, state-of-the-art High Definition studio cameras.

Viewers will also notice a dramatic difference in Action News 5's weather technology. Action News 5's StormTrack Doppler 5, combined with the exclusive Vipir 5 Tornado Indicator (VTI), will give early warning of storms to viewers. Action News 5 will bring viewers information about approaching weather systems in the highest resolution of any station in the Mid-South, and will be able to warn viewers of danger with unrivalled accuracy.

Viewers without a High Definition television will still be able to watch Action News 5 newscasts as they normally do on any Standard Definition.

It's true. In fact I'm watching it now (unfortunately, not on an HD set). The graphics are similar, however, to their sister stations WFLX in West Palm Beach and WAFB in Baton Rouge.

I'll try to record the 6:00 and post screencaps in a separate thread.

So is WOFL producing their newscast in HD or ED (16:9 widescreen)? I can't find any references to it on their website or in Wikipedia.

It is 16x9 widescreen, during the newscast studio shots and local field reporters it is in 16x9. The weather segment and imported national reports are in 4x3 with blue bars with the Fox 35 logo with a 3D effect. The on screen graphics are also only 4x3.

It's true. In fact I'm watching it now (unfortunately, not on an HD set). The graphics are similar, however, to their sister stations WFLX in West Palm Beach and WAFB in Baton Rouge.

I'll try to record the 6:00 and post screencaps in a separate thread.

I've got it on an HD set here, though I will be unable to get any screencaps or video.

Not a huge fan of the graphics, at least the lower thirds, but other than that things looks good so far. Field shots are 16:9 SD for the most part, however 2 did appear to be in HD.

I've got it on an HD set here, though I will be unable to get any screencaps or video.

Not a huge fan of the graphics, at least the lower thirds, but other than that things looks good so far. Field shots are 16:9 SD for the most part, however 2 did appear to be in HD.

Were the two you mentioned look-lives? For us (in Philly), all microwave shots are 16:9 SD, but if the photogs bring the material back to the station, it remains HD all the way through the process.

Were the two you mentioned look-lives? For us (in Philly)' date=' all microwave shots are 16:9 SD, but if the photogs bring the material back to the station, it remains HD all the way through the process.[/quote']

That is likely it. The two I mentioned, while not look-lives in the field, did have the reporters back in-studio. The difference in quality was definitely noticeable in those versus the others.

Archived